Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Intuitive Surgical strives to make surgery more effective, less invasive and easier on surgeons, patients and their families.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly-complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgical applications. Our systems engineering team is committed to utilizing cutting-edge research and technology to develop innovative design solutions for our current and next generation surgical robot systems.
We are seeking a candidate with exceptional machine design and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop and verify new mechanical designs. As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, your role is to utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment in the design of surgical robotics products with particular emphasis on electronics integration in medical equipment. You will be responsible for key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. You will be expected to excel in a focused, high-energy, collaborative work environment with a team of talented engineers. You should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Working within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs
• Developing system architecture and mechanical assemblies, with careful consideration for electronics integration, thermal performance, sensors, safety mechanisms, and failure contingencies
• Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures and machine designs to satisfy requirements
• Designing for reliability, cost and manufacturability
• Collaborating with manufacturing to create product assembly tooling, fixtures and instructions
• Developing and performing component verification testing and product validation testing
• Supporting production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
• Providing engineering support to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs
• Selecting and managing vendors from the prototype phase
• Authoring concept and design documentation for a regulatory controlled environment
• BSME, or similar. Post-graduate study or equivalent work experience preferred
• Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience with machine design. Surgical product and robotics experience is a plus
• A demonstrated track record of delivering solid technical solutions to the marketplace, preferably in a regulated environment
• Interest in the medical applications of robotics
• Passion for details in creating robust and reliable machines designed for mission-critical applications
• Strong concept development, design analysis, hands-on prototyping, and performance and reliability testing skills
• Proficiency using 3-D CAD, as well as FEA and CFD simulation tools to optimize designs. SolidWorks experience preferred
• Proficiency designing for volume manufacturing processes, including injection molding, casting, and sheet metal
• Thorough understanding of engineering materials, component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to execute and document component and assembly changes in an automated change control system and demonstrate that the changes were made properly
• Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.