Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
• Manages procurement of high value, complex direct materials to support business requirements: includes purchase order management, sourcing, contract negotiations, spend analysis, inventory management, and supplier performance management.
• Mentors other buyers within the purchasing team and may lead cross-functional commodity team and/or have supervisory responsibilities.
• Identifies and drives key procurement initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Reviews, administers, and manages long-term purchase order and delivery commitments to designated suppliers as necessary to support production and/or sales requirements within the business.
• Reviews, interprets, and communicates material demand forecast and manages capacity planning for assigned commodity groups and/or supplier relationships.
• Leads alignment of production supplier requirements and sourcing strategies with those of new product development (NPI) for designated suppliers/commodities to ensure uninterrupted material availability, alignment of risk, and cost goals with long term vision for the commodity / business.
• Owns performance management and improvement efforts for designated suppliers, including leading supplier business reviews.
• Utilizes lean sourcing principles (kanban, consignment, and other similar material pull methods) to achieve 100% material availability and optimize on-hand inventory.
• Embraces continuous improvement techniques to drive toward attainment of key purchasing metrics (supplier on-time delivery, quality, risk management, inventory velocity, and cost reduction).
• Leads complex cross-functional projects to mitigate risk, improve quality, and/or reduce cost within assigned supply base, including management of change cut-ins.
• Leverages problem solving skills and develops counter-measures to implement long-term solutions to identified problems.
• Mentors colleagues within the supply chain organization. Identifies process and training improvement opportunities and drives closure of identified gaps.
• Leverages best practice supplier selection techniques to identify a core supply base able to offer lowest total cost of ownership and high quality product.
• Provides leadership within assigned commodity team:
o Prioritizing commodity team projects.
o Ensuring commodity team achieves goals.
o Identifying and completing risk mitigation and cost reduction projects.
o Leveraging knowledge of commodity trends to drive strategies.
• Cost and contracting
o Leads construction of annual cost reduction plan to achieve corporate initiative plan for designed suppliers/parts and/or commodity team.
o Leads creation, negotiation, and management of commercial agreements – covering cost, quality, and delivery terms.
• BS degree or equivalent and 10+ years of purchasing experience in a regulated industry manufacturing environment (medical device preferred). Master’s degree preferred.
• Certifications: CPSM, CPIM, and/or PMP preferred.
• Significant computer experience including MS Office products and ERP systems, preferably SAP and Agile. Strong Excel skills.
• Proven track record of effective project management in a fast-paced manufacturing company (medical device preferred).
• Thorough knowledge of and experience working with kanban systems and other lean principles.
• Working knowledge of buying, material planning, master scheduling, and forecasting.
• Demonstrates concern for precision and thoroughness.
• Proven ability to consistently achieve stretch goals and objectives.
• Experience with people management and/or extensive cross-functional team leadership. Proven track record of promoting positive team culture and employee development.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects successfully.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong negotiation skills and experience with proven track record of savings.
• ~25% travel to both domestic and international suppliers.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.