Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Supplier Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
- Select and evaluate suppliers by leading efforts to find new suppliers in an existing or new commodity.
- Conduct on-site supplier assessments as well as QMS audits and address the non-conformities.
- Work with suppliers and ISI engineering for the new product introduction to
- Complete part production qualification process ( PPQP), which includes but not limited to delivering on the following deliverables: spFMEA, Special Process Validations, Process capability, MSA, capacity analysis ,and FAIR .
- Develop supplier ramp readiness based on forecast, supplier capacity, quality performance, and process capability.
- Perform DFM by engaging suppliers early in development cycle to feedback manufacturability improvements in the designs prior to production
- Lead and resolve the supply continuity/ quality issues at suppliers through in depth root cause and corrective actions utilizing SCARs, SCRs (Supplier Change requests) processes.
- Monitor supplier performance and initiate improvement activities.
- Drive suppliers to continually improve their business and manufacturing process performance to meet Intuitive Surgical’s requirements for supplier excellence including ship to stock programs using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation by leading these efforts without managerial guidance at several suppliers simultaneously.
- Develop and use metrics for supplier part cost, delivery, quality, capacity and capability by creating metrics to measure real improvement and judge required intervention or change at the supplier or in a commodity.
- Driving change to ISI specifications as necessary by understanding and changing specifications and drawings including driving the ECO process to implementation.
- Prepare and deliver supplier communications as required by independently working with suppliers on scorecard creation of QBRs, Supplier Summits, etc.
Identify and investigate opportunities for cost reduction and/or quality improvement by judging opportunities and creating strategies to seize those opportunities, completes research and provides data-driven plans to management.
- BS degree in Engineering or equivalent, Masters degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years related experience in Supplier Quality and/or Supplier Development or related field
- Excellent knowledge of 21 CFR part 820 and ISO 13485 (experience in auditing suppliers to these standards): Certified Lead auditor preferred, but not required
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing processes including understanding of key input variables for quality, cost and capacity (specialization can be in metal fabrication, plastics, or contract manufacturing)
- Practical knowledge of pfmeas and process validations
- Ability to read and interpret detailed mechanical drawings and communicate technical information
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentations to executive level management
- A proven history of implementing Lean/6 Sigma/SPC Programs at suppliers
- Practical knowledge of part production qualification process
- Significant computer experience using Windows, Word, Excel, Access and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP
- CAD experience with 3D modeling tools is a plus
- Proven ability to motivate suppliers
- Experience in a high-volume medical device company is a plus
- Ability to travel to suppliers on an as needed basis – domestic and international
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.