Intuitive Surgical Careers
Government Affairs Director - UK
Primary Location: United Kingdom-England-London-London
As a key member of Intuitive Surgical’s team in the United Kingdom & Ireland and the company’s Global Public Affairs team, you will develop, direct and contribute to all facets of Intuitive Surgical’s strategy, operation and execution of government and public affairs activities. This includes a dialogue with Members of Parliament, government officials and other key stakeholders within and across the political and healthcare systems in UK & Ireland and at the European level. You will also develop and implement short and long term in-country government affairs strategies that support business and public policy-oriented objectives; promote the company’s government affairs and business positions to relevant policymakers and policymaking bodies; provide counsel to key internal audiences; and liaise with external stakeholders relevant in the Government & Public Affairs arenas.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The position is to be located in England. Specific responsibilities include:
- Deep knowledge of the United Kingdom’s political system; with experience in political party and/or campaign work; or significant experience in a similar corporate role.
- Knowledge of the United Kingdom’s healthcare and reimbursement systems is highly desirable. This includes familiarity with National Health Service England & Innovation (NHSE/NHSI) and Commissioning processes; as well as the ability to advise senior leadership on key interactions with relevant stakeholders in this field regarding policy development..
- Develop, implement and execute national and local-level specific government & public affairs strategies and relevant campaigns, projects and tactics.
- Key member of the strategic advisory team working across countries to support public policy and government affairs strategies at the European level.
- Collaborate with the UK & I Sales team to bring together politicians and key hospital and surgeon stakeholders.
- Contribute to/represent Intuitive at key UK & I and/or European industry organizations, as required.
- Ensure organizational clarity, assuring that the department’s activities, messages, and materials support the achievement of broader public affairs, country-specific, and company-wide goals and policy objectives.
- Oversee the development of strategic and project-specific messaging and materials (political talking points, press & audience-specific statements, FAQs, presentations, etc.) to key stakeholder audiences.
- Strong ability to understand, clearly synthesize, and integrate complex issues in presentations, messaging documents and other communication(s) with key senior level internal and external audiences.
- Attend meetings, events and conferences to represent the company from a Government Affairs perspective.
- Superior speaking and writing skills brought to all tasks, including policy and project-oriented messaging, memos, speeches, talking points and other internal and external documents.
- Rapid response: ability to quickly draft and revise materials.
- Ability to synthesize ideas into materials.
- Strong expertise and experience in government affairs, public affairs.
- Strong expertise/experience in the healthcare sector/healthcare policy.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
- 12+ years of experience of mid-to-senior level government affairs, political or public policy oriented activity.
- Must have relevant government, political and/or campaign experience.
- Strong preference for healthcare experience, including previous experience working with the relevant governmental decision-making and Commissioning bodies & understanding of the United Kingdom’s reimbursement system.
- University degree required.
- Native citizen of the United Kingdom strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel throughout United Kingdom & Ireland, to EU-based meetings and to Intuitive’s Sunnyvale, California headquarters, as required.
- Comfortable working in a matrixed environment and reporting in to Intuitive’s global corporate headquarters in California; willingness to take evening calls to make time zones work.
- Ability to effectively analyze, write and deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals required.
- Demonstrated track record of strong advocacy and communications skills.
- Strong knowledge of healthcare policy, reimbursement and related issues.
- Excellent organizational skills, especially ability to monitor and manage multiple campaigns and tracks of work in multiple countries simultaneously, while ensuring all are consistent with the company’s overarching goals, approach, and brand.
- Ability to work independently with a central focus on United Kingdom & Ireland while also working in coordination with – and across – teams in multiple countries.
- Ability to tailor materials to effectively communicate with multiple internal and external audiences, including colleagues in different departments and countries, different high-value external stakeholders, and media.
- Responsive and focused on executing in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in a global corporate environment.