Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute your mechanical engineering design and analysis skills to a dynamic development team creating complex test, measurement and calibration equipment for vision systems used in minimally invasive robotic surgery. This position will focus on creating new vision and endoscope test and calibration systems for meeting product performance, safety , reliability and manufacturing operations goals for numerous vision systems. Individuals in this role must demonstrate mechanical capital equipment design capabilities, and be able to work with suppliers to develop state of the art test and calibration processes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority to:
• Develop and continuously improve test and calibration systems for image sensor, endoscope,, laser and LED optical systems.• Work closely with new product development engineers and test software engineers to understand requirements, develop robust, reliable and reproducible camera/sensor test and calibration equipment.• Development and improve efficiency of “mid-volume” manufacturing test and calibration processes including:o Design, specify, prototype, document, procure, qualify, implement, and improve test equipment components and equipment.o Test flow process development.• Documentation to include generating equipment specifications, validation protocols, assembly instructions, preventative maintenance and calibration (PMC), manufacturing process instructions (MPIs)• Analyze, debug and root cause measurement accuracy, reliability, repeatability and reproducibility equipment issues.• Improve test and calibration process and procedures to improve quality, yield and throughput of new products.• Develop and maintain compliance with the quality system.• Evaluate and select suppliers for mechanical and electrical equipment subsystems. Help resolve supplier quality issues.• Provide design engineers with Design for Manufacturability and Design for Reliability input to ensure consistency/commonality among hardware and standard part selections across product/sub-assembly lines.
• BS in relevant field required, MS preferred.
• Minimum 5 years mechanical, equipment design engineering experience for a medium to high volume product. .
• New product introduction/development desirable.
• Great attitude, eager, willing/able to take initiative, works well with others in team environment.
• Strong analytical skills to understand, analyze and improve the accuracy, repeatability and reliability of measurement equipment.
• Strong statistics and/or data analysis skills preferred.
• Experienced in ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment or other regulated field preferred.
• Understanding of Lean manufacturing concepts desirable.
• Understanding of Six Sigma methodologies desirable.
• Documentation skill must be excellent. CAD experience (Solidworks).
• Use of Agile or similar lifecycle management tool.
• Able to travel periodically to work with suppliers. German language skills would be a plus. (approximately 4 times per year)
• Machine shop skills desirable.
• Experience with development of precision test equipment in optics/lasers preferred.
• Understanding of cameras, lasers and optical systems a plus.