Intuitive Surgical Careers
German Speaking Legal Counsel - EMEA
Primary Location: Switzerland---
Primary Function of Position:
With experience and vision, serve as Legal Counsel for the international operations of a high growth leader in the medical device industry. The Legal Counsel will provide key legal support to a Swiss subsidiary in charge of international operations of a US based parent corporation.
S/he will manage a variety of legal issues both internally and externally, for a wide range of stakeholders. S/he will focus on maintaining the capacity, processes and infrastructure to protect company assets and reputation consistent with instructions from Corporate Legal. Draft, analyze and negotiate agreements.
This ‘hands on’ position will assist Senior Director & Associate General Counsel (Corporate Legal) in working deeply and closely with Sales, Marketing, Finance, and Manufacturing Materials Management (as necessary), and other areas of the international operation out of Switzerland to counsel, advise, and meet their legal support needs. Will require the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work proactively to meet internal and external deadline demands. Some travel may be required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating agreements to support Intuitive Surgical Sarl’s operations including consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, research agreements, and marketing agreements.
- Analyzing contracts to ensure compliance to company policy, government and relevant agencies’ regulations, and revenue recognition.
- Ensure IS Sarl’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations including those affecting privacy, interactions with healthcare professionals, antitrust / competition law, global anti-corruption laws, etc.
- Overseeing (escalation path for Contract Negotiators) in the preparation, review and negotiation of sales related agreements for Switzerland based international operations.
- Working closely with Corporate Legal, Sales, Customer Service, Accounting, and operational teams on the system sales contract process.
- Support litigation mediation, arbitration, and settlement efforts affecting Intuitive Surgical Sarl.
- Ensure consistency, to the extent practicable, between IS Sarl and Corporate legal processes.
- Assist in Ethics and compliance program for IS Sarl.
- Admission to the Swiss or German Bar. (Concurrent admission to the Bar of any other EU country and/or a US State is a plus).
- Minimum 7 years legal experience, in medical device or pharma industry, or in life science department of a law firm.
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills, including experience in commercial agreement matters.
- Strong negotiation skills, and familiarity with litigation and advocacy.
- Good business sense, organizational and problem solving skills with attention to detail.
- Multi-national environment experience.
- Proactive, a high degree of professionalism and a motivation to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously within a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong English, and German mother tongue with excellent legal drafting and oral communication skills at all organization levels; one of the following languages, French or Dutch, a plus.
- Ability to develop and implement cross functional processes.
- Expertise and experience in data privacy, a plus.
- Law degree (LLM a plus).