Intuitive Surgical Careers
Director Vision Operations
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
The idea of surgical robotics was little more than a curiosity until 1999, the year Intuitive Surgical introduced the da Vinci® Surgical System. Today, Intuitive Surgical is the global leader in robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery. Since 2000, da Vinci Surgical Systems have been used in more than 3 million minimally invasive procedures performed worldwide. We have built a company based on an unwavering commitment to patients who benefit from our revolutionary surgical technology.
Primary Function of Position:
Provide overall leadership for the team responsible for the contract and in-house manufacturing of endoscopes and other vision related products used in robotic assisted surgical equipment. Serve as the leader on all strategic and operational objectives to ensure a reliable supply of high performance vision products while meeting New Product Introduction (NPI) and financial goals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Support the Mission, Vision and Shared Values of Intuitive Surgical.Qualifications
• Manage worldwide contract manufacturers and sub-suppliers including but not limited to negotiating agreements, supply chain risk management, pricing and capacity.
• Achieve manufacturing and inventory plan consistently while managing cost and without compromising quality and compliance to regulatory requirements.
• Develop and execute strategic plans to optimize cost, quality, capacity, lead-time, delivery and time to market for new products.
• Develop and implement metrics to track progress against operational and strategic goals.
• Drive analysis and decisions related to make vs. buy.
• Collaborate with other functional areas to ensure alignment of goals and priorities. Key functional teams to align with include Engineering/Design, Planning, Human Resources, Finance, Product Quality and Product Marketing.
• Ensure availability of contract and in-house manufacturing capacity to meet increasing demand for existing products and for the launch of new products.
• Identify and drive implementation of projects designed to improve efficiency, reduce cost, improve quality, increase flexibility and increase capacity. Proposed projects shall be based on sound financial analysis and clearly articulated business needs.
• Hire, train and develop a highly capable team of direct labor to manufacture complex electro-mechanical systems with a goal of zero defects.
• Establish programs that drive ongoing productivity improvements. Use lean and six sigma principles as appropriate.
• Play an active role in developing annual operating plans including budgets, goals and strategies to achieve.
• Monitor compliance to budgets and take timely corrective actions as needed to stay on track.
• Drive the operation to continuously improve and achieve increased manufacturing capabilities that meet or exceed requirements for cost, quality, delivery and responsiveness
• Work with cross-functional leaders to support overall site operations, coordinate general communications for the site.
• Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others
• Continually assesses and improves the competitiveness of all policies and practices against relevant comparable companies and industries.
• Ensure compliance with state, federal and international regulations.
• BS in engineering sciences, BS Business Administration or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
• Proven track record including a minimum of 10+ years of experience selecting, developing and managing offshore and domestic contract manufacturers and leading in-house manufacturing teams
• Proven track record at negotiating agreements with suppliers including contract manufacturers
• Experience in building global manufacturing plants
• Proven experience and track record regarding process improvement of complex manufacturing systems
• Strong technical analytical skills including Value Stream Mapping, FMEA, statistical methods, and six sigma techniques
• Previous Medical Device manufacturing experience desirable
• Able to foster a culture of enthusiasm and engagement in challenging and meaningful manufacturing operations work in an inclusive environment
• Hands-on ego-less leader, willing to work shoulder-to-shoulder with manufacturing employees
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project programs
• Strong SAP and Tableau skill is desirable