Intuitive Surgical Careers
Manufacturing Engineer - Catheters
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Intuitive Surgical: A new way to reach the peripheral lung.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Manufacturing Engineer owns the manufacturing content for new product introductions. Participates in product development teams that specify, build, test and challenge new product designs to improve efficacy, reliability, serviceability, manufacturability and cost.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provides product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development Engineering to enhance manufacturability and servicing.• Takes ownership of new products during pilot production phase through successful and sustained project launch. This includes driving new product introduction schedules, escalating and resolving manufacturability issues.• Helps to create an efficient “mid-volume” manufacturing assembly line, specifying and/or refining BOMs, work flow processes and detailed work instructions.• Provides training and support to production technicians.• Designs, qualifies, documents and introduces production and service assembly/test fixtures and equipment.• Responsible for maintaining compliance with medical device quality system requirements including corrective action closure, discrepant material dispositions and ECO implementation.• Provides technical support analyzing and/or performing failure analysis for discrepant production components, assemblies and field returns.• Leads/participates in initiative focused on material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, outsourcing of assemblies, etc.• Must possess strong communication skills to interface with technicians, product development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, customer support and clinical marketing organizations.
- 4 yr. degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of experience with a 4yr. degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent OR Advanced degree without experience. Catheter manufacturing experience highly preferred.
- Demonstrated Electromechanical and/or Process Engineering capability
- Solid model experience (SolidWorks or ProE)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively design experiments
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to represent the company to its partners, suppliers, and vendors
- Comfortable interacting with technicians, engineers, and management
- Strong technical skills in prototyping and troubleshooting from engineering documentation
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work on multiple projects at once experience in medical device manufacturing environment 13485 or ISO9001
- Moving or lifting equipment/product up to 30 lbs. occasionally required
- Machine tool experience a plus
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time