Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Manager, Product Engineering
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures complex systems for use in surgery. The Advanced Imaging team develops products and services to enhance the use of Intuitive’s surgical robotic systems. Within the Advanced Imaging new product development (NPD) team, the Senior Manager of Product Engineering is responsible for the development, documentation and release of new products and services, and improvements to existing products and services.
The successful candidate will lead a team of talented and dedicated people to develop new imaging products and services to enhance Intuitive’s surgical robotic product lines. The candidate must be capable and comfortable in the role of managing a software development process using internal and external software development resources. The candidate will work with departments throughout the company to plan and execute product development and sustaining activities in order to deliver products and services to manufacturing and end-users. The candidate will work with Intuitive’s field support team to assure that knowledge transfer takes place so that proper field service and customer support processes are in place.
The successful candidate must excel in a focused, high-energy, small team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting the Senior Manager of Product Engineering will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• General Management Responsibilities
o Establish group objectives and individual work goalso Assign tasks, set priorities, and track progresso Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performanceo Hold design meetings and reviews, and document outcomeso Provide technical advice and mentoringo Develop Design History Files per FDA requirementso Recommend and implement enhancements to software development processeso Ensure that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and compliance to design control processes in the Quality Management System
• Product Engineering Team Management
o Manage software engineer direct reports and external technical resources to specify and oversee the development of advanced imaging products and services to enhance the use of da Vinci™ Surgical System products.o Work with designers in the user interface / human factors and research groups to develop and document requirements and specifications for advanced imaging products and services.
• Technical Leadership
o Provide technical leadership for the advanced imaging groupo Work with Product Management to capture customer needs and translating them into process engineering deliverables and performanceo Facilitate strategic discussions between Marketing, Sales, and Finance regarding R&D innovation direction and roadmap to ensure direction for the company.o Manage the development of advanced imaging products and services in the areas of mobile applications, web applications, networking, data transfer, and imaging display and manipulation.o Perform formal risk analysis and guide development and testing of software mitigationso Manage the determination and documentation of future product release content with specific focus on prioritization, development effort estimation, and implementation planningo Investigate and determine root cause of both latent and emerging software defects in the existing population of deployed systemso Manage the software technical support activities for resolution of field and manufacturing issueso Work with the Advanced Imaging Software Test Manager and external software development partners to correct, document and test defects according to corporate standard and departmental operating procedures
• Bachelor of Science degree required in Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering or equivalent.
• Minimum 8 years industry experience in managing R&D and/or Product Development teams and activities, preferably in the medical device industry.
• Knowledge of, and experience with, medical imaging technologies (e.g., CT, MRI) and analysis/segmentation of these images.
• Knowledge of, and experience with, networking, data transfer, cloud storage and associated cybersecurity requirements and mitigations.
• Demonstrated experience in and comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
• Experience with managing the design and implementation of software products in an FDA or other regulated industry. Experience with the following are a plus: FDA (510K), Ninsho/Shonin, ISO-13485, Technical Files (CE Mark).
• Experience with design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Experience with SW verification testing and test development
• Understanding of source control management and SW build development
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• Interest in the medical applications of robotics
• A passion for learning and getting to the root of tough technical problems
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves peoples lives
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.