Intuitive Surgical Careers
Software Engineer – System Test
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The System Test department is responsible for all Engineering Development testing of both systems and surgical instruments. The primary function of this position is to design, develop, and execute test protocols for functional SW verification for intricate robotic surgical systems using black box, gray box, and white box testing techniques.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Design, develop and execute test protocols for functional SW verification for intricate robotic surgical systems.Qualifications
• Generate test reports and complete requirement tracing for all requirements under test.
• Log issues found within the issue tracking system; work with software and cross-functional teams to debug.
• Develop tests and scripts that automate the testing process at a system level
• Develop SW tests at a module level in Python
• Analyze test data, identify non-conformance trends, generate concise executive summaries, and recommend design improvements
• Contribute to the verification of robotic surgical systems and instruments
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience in testing complex electro-mechanical systems with embedded software and firmware, or equivalent• Working experience in development of white-box testing for embedded software. SW programming background in C, C++ and Python is required• Some experience with complex embedded systems/robotics and real time operating systems, and/or experience with Linux and QNX is a plus.• Experience with scripting language for automated tests• Some experience with V&V for medical devices is a plus. Demonstrated judgment in V&V planning & execution.• Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams, such as SW, Clinical, EE, ME, etc.• Must work very well in a collaborative, fast paced and information environment, and will thrive under the pressure of doing something meaningful and needed.• Troubleshooting mind set, an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failure mechanisms• Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.• Experience in writing and executing effective test plans and protocol development is preferred.• Bachelor’s degree in CS, EE, ME, BioE, or related fields preferred, or commensurate experience.
Additional competencies or experience we would like to see:
• Experience testing hardware devices, especially in mechanical or robotic systems• Experience in medical device verification and validation, and requirements for regulatory approval• An in-depth knowledge of failure mode root cause analysis and standard statistical techniques