Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Video Software Engineering Group, responsible for the embedded software controlling the real-time, high-definition, stereo video processing, graphics, and compositing engine at the heart of the da Vinci™ Surgical System. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the design team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Bring-up and integration of new high-performance processors, image-sensors, and cameras, to deliver real-time, high-definition, stereo surgical video with the best possible image quality.
• Evaluating, improving, and extending real-time video processing, auto-exposure, and illumination control algorithms, including characterization and calibration of new image-sensors and cameras.
• Graphics performance analysis, optimization, and user interface framework development, to help build the streamlined surgeon’s cockpit “head’s up” interface-of-the-future.
• Design and development of product-focused rock-solid embedded software in a heterogeneous, multi-processor SoC/FPGA/embedded-Linux environment.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Working on a cross-functional team at multiple levels, from architectural definition to driver-level implementation.
• Contributing to multiple areas of software development, including but not limited to the following:
- control and monitoring of multi-input/multi-output, video-stream processing, graphics, and compositing hardware
- image processing and graphics performance analysis
- extension of current processing frameworks to new processors and hardware designs
- design and development of offline hardware simulation environments to facilitate rapid software development and test
- hardware / software diagnostic-tool design and development
• Helping to perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations
• Documenting according to Intuitive's development guidelines
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must:
• Bachelor's degree with minimum (2) years industry experience, or Master’s degree.
• Experience in developing embedded software for imaging, e.g., sensors, cameras, video/graphics hardware, image-processing, is ideal
• Experience in developing for embedded Linux at multiple levels (hardware bring-up, driver, application) is ideal
• Experience with user-interface frameworks, graphics APIs, GPU computing, and machine-vision (e.g., Qt, OpenGL, CUDA) is ideal
• Demonstrated experience and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle, including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is a plus; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer