Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The primary objective of an Engineering Technician is to provide troubleshooting, testing, repairs, equipment maintenance and MRB evaluation services to systems manufacturing line meeting quality and productivity goals within manufacturing. This person will play a significant role in the areas of Failure Analysis, First Pass Yield, and MRB review.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Engineering Lab ownership:
• Setup and maintain production debug cell.• Keep the lab space organized and equipped with supplies and fixtures.• Maintain calibration of all equipment.Systems production support:• Follow Production escalation process and provide engineering evaluation of any interruptions to production line.• Perform quick triage of the issue and recommend best course of action to keep production moving.• Perform simple reworks on the spot (cable crimping, solder components, tap threads, clean optics, adjust alignments etc.).• Document all activities during escalation support in formal records.• Order parts and assemble/bring up duplicate fixtures for production.• MRB support (Evaluation and disposition of failed material):• Review parts in MRB, analyze failures in detail, make decisions on dispositions and approve, document all findings in formal records.• Manage scrapped parts and organize process around reviewing them with mfg engineering.
• Execute stock purges that require engineering level test/measurements.
• Execute engineering level tests and collect data to support design of experiment activities or characterize a device.• Support production with electronics/PCA programming and functional testing in the early phase of new product launches to shake out bugs, suggest improvements.• Build/Modify prototype fixtures for evaluation.• Redline process instructions and drawings.• Prepare and submit ECOs with engineering guidance.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex PCAs down to component level.
• Effectively use of troubleshooting and measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, multimeters, function generators, custom test platforms.
• Understand wiring diagrams, schematics, assembly drawings, fab drawings, mechanical component drawings.
• Document findings of investigation in quality notifications which are part of official Device History Records.
• Electronic and Mechanical assembly skills (Examples: soldering, crimping, box build, fiber handling, optical component handling, cable routing, and use of RTV/epoxy).
• Working knowledge of computers, word processing and spreadsheet applications for documentation and data presentation.
• Ability to read and modify test scripts.
• Ability to learn quickly and adapt to variety of technologies that allow effective troubleshooting. Examples: Digital and Analog Electronics components, optical components, servo components, machined parts, sheet metal parts, cable assemblies.
• Good communication skills to be able to partner effectively with production techs, supervisors, training department as well as Manufacturing/Design/Test Engineers.
• Sense of urgency and Multi-tasking is essential to be able to support production line effectively.
• AS degree, trade school, military technical training or equivalent.
• A minimum of five years of troubleshooting experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.