Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
The Mechanical Engineer (Accessories) will develop new and innovative surgical accessories for the da Vinci Surgical System, taking them from concept to market. Accessories enable robotic surgery and may be reusable or high volume disposable medical devices. Our customers interact directly with our accessories in every surgical procedure, so they must be designed with the end user in mind. Our accessories are often the interface between all the other aspects of the da Vinci system. The successful candidate will understand user needs and requirements, balance individual product-level requirements with system-level requirements, resolve complex mechanical design issues, and commit to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in or lead cross-functional project teams to design and develop new surgical accessories
- Investigate clinical requirements and recognize user needs
- Create intellectual property by brainstorming novel concepts and writing invention disclosures
- Perform risk analyses; develop design requirements; reduce to practice, document, and test designs according to corporate standard and departmental operating procedures
- Support the quality and regulatory processes as required
- Contribute to the determination of future product release content
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of manufacturing and field issues. Support cost reduction efforts.
- Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
- A passion for solving tough technical problems and creating elegant and reliable products
- Ability to thrive at the interface between multiple design groups, negotiating conflicting requirements
- Strong mechanical intuition and persistence to drill down to pinpoint root cause of problems
- Minimum 4 years of industry experience designing commercial mechanical products plus BS in Mechanical Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering required (MS strongly preferred)
- Experience designing plastic components and assemblies required
- Experience with disposable medical products is a strong plus
- Experience with designing hardware products in a regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired
- Experience with UL, CE, and/or FDA requirements preferred
- Hands-on engineer with the proven ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team environment, including team members in remote locations. Must be able to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and functions
- Experience creating rapid prototypes and mock-ups
- Proficiency using CAD required; Solidworks strongly preferred
- Experience creating mechanical drawings/specifications documents
- Strength in mechanical design and analytical methods, including statics, strength of materials, and stress analysis (FEA). Familiarity with kinematics/robotics is a plus.
- Experience designing for reliability and manufacturability
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing processes, such as injection molding, machining, plating, heat treatment, pad printing, laser marking, laser welding, ultrasonic welding, heat staking, etc.
- Comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle from concept to transfer to manufacturing
- Comfortable operating measurement and test equipment
- Familiarity with sterilization processes and designing for biocompatibility
- Experience managing vendors to manufacture and assemble components
- Ability to travel up to 10% time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.