Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work within a group of talented and dedicated people to help us invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
You will contribute broadly to the APD group, with focused contributions on component and mechanism design, material analysis and selection, and design for reliability and manufacturability. You will help to invent platform-level solutions that span the spectrum of products made at Intuitive: from sophisticated robots, to precise surgical end effectors, to high volume medical consumables. As a member of the mechanical engineering team, you will be involved in delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions, and seeing these through to product release.
You must have demonstrated ability to excel in a high-energy, small, and focused team environment. You must be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to uncover requirements and create solutions are essential, as is a grounded intuition and aptitude for mechanical design. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as the desire to help make work fun and engaging for the whole team. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and is working to ensure your success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Plan architecture and lead the mechanical design of complete product subsystems and componentsQualifications
• Perform conceptual design, detailed design, CAD modeling and drafting, prototyping, and troubleshooting on components and assemblies for surgical systems and instruments
• Create component, subassembly, and product functional and design specifications
• Identify, analyze, test, and report on new materials, manufacturing process, and technologies that could benefit existing products or enable new product designs
• Develop vendors to manufacture components and work with outside vendors to extend their technology beyond their current capabilities and push on the limits of what is possible today
• Develop initial fixtures and processes to assemble components
• Assist with the investigation of clinical requirements
• Develop and perform component verification testing and product validation testing
• Provide written protocols, reports, and presentations related to design activities on an ongoing basis
• Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
• Provide engineering support as requested to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs to production
• Develop Design History Files (DHF) per FDA requirements and assist with the creation and review of regulatory submission documents
• Serve as Mechanical / Design Engineering member of Design Review Boards
• Document, prepare and review patent submissions
• BSME required, MSME preferred
• 8+ years industry experience in developing commercial mechanical products
• 4+ years industry experience in developing medical products
• Possess a strong mechanical aptitude and a finely honed intuition for mechanical design
• Demonstrate consistent design leadership and mentorship within a small team
• Hands-on engineering skillset with the proven ability to work well in a collaborative environment
• Proficient using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
• Ability to rapidly generate high-quality functional and testable physical prototypes of new concepts
• Proven ability to apply the basic laws of physics to understand and achieve quick and reliable solutions to engineering problems
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills such as FEA, statistical, and experimental design
• Strong understanding of material and component selection criteria as well as design for reliability and manufacturability best practices
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
• Exemplary communication and documentation skills with the ability to clearly present to larger groups and distill complex information.
• Proficient at process development and creation of assembly instructions
• Comfortable operating machine shop (lathe, mill), measurement and mechanical test equipment
• Able to oversee and manage multiple concurrent projects
• Ability to learn rapidly and drive to creative—yet practical—solutions from rough requirements
• Real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems!
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that will improve millions of people’s lives!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.