Intuitive Surgical Careers
NPI Manufacturing Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Manufacturing Engineer owns the manufacturing content for new product introductions. Participates in product development teams that specify, build, test and challenge new product designs to improve efficacy, reliability, serviceability, manufacturability and cost.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Designs, qualifies, documents and introduces production and service assembly/test electromechanical fixtures and equipment.Qualifications
• Takes ownership of new products during pilot production phase through successful and sustained project launch. This includes driving new product introduction schedules, escalating and resolving manufacturability issues.
• Helps to create an efficient “mid-volume” manufacturing assembly line, specifying and/or refining BOMs, work flow processes and detailed work instructions.
• Provides product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development Engineering to enhance manufacturability and servicing.
• Responsible for maintaining compliance with medical device quality system requirements including corrective action closure, discrepant material dispositions and ECO implementation.
• Provides technical support analyzing and/or performing failure analysis for discrepant production components, assemblies and field returns.
• Leads/participates in initiative focused on material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, outsourcing of assemblies, etc.
• Must possess strong communication skills to interface with technicians, product development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, customer support and clinical marketing organizations.
• Provides training and support to production technicians.
• 2+ years of industry experience
• 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
• Demonstrated Electromechanical and/or Process Engineering capability
• Solid model experience (ProE or SolidWorks)
• Strong foundation in design, fabrication and assembly of complex assemblies
• Demonstrated ability to effectively design experiments
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to represent the company to its partners, suppliers, and vendors
• Comfortable interacting with technicians, engineers, and management
• Strong technical skills in prototyping and troubleshooting from engineering documentation
• Demonstrated ability to successfully work on multiple projects at once
• ISO9001 or experience in medical device manufacturing environment or regulated industry
• Moving or lifting equipment/product up to 30 lbs. occasionally required
• Machine tool experience a plus