Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. The Senior Software Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to help us invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the APD group, with focused contribution on real-time software for complex tele-operated robotic systems with multi-degree-of-freedom robotic manipulators. As a member of the team, you will be involved in delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions, and seeing these through to product release.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential to become a valuable integrator and system developer. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Create, document, implement, test, and help develop detailed software designs to support the development of new product concepts and prototypes, as part of a cross-functional advanced development team
• Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This includes seeking out solutions to subtle and challenging problems in system integration, as well as rapid iterations of prototype development and evaluation
• Define and implement the software architecture to support the successful development of systems
• Support the bring-up and testing of embedded system prototype hardware
• Create software requirements, and perform formal risk analysis and develop effective software mitigations
• Help develop key intellectual property
• Develop software adhering to the Intuitive Surgical coding standards and good software development practices (unit testability, source code control, traceability, etc.)
• Ensure that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and comply with the design control processes in the Quality Management System, as appropriate
• Own and maintain software repositories for research and advanced development
• Masters degree in Software, Electrical, Computer Engineering or related discipline
• 5+ years industry experience in developing and supporting embedded systems
• Significant experience in developing complete software solutions for real-time, multi-tasking, embedded operating systems or other embedded real-time processing frameworks
• Experience with the implementation of complex algorithms
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded hardware and software problems
• Demonstrated experience with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to Manufacturing
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Hands-on engineering experience with proven ability to work well in a team environment and lead project teams
• Rich experience in developing complete software solutions for embedded systems using C/C++, Inter-process communication (IPC) and multithreaded/multitasking on Linux and real-time operating systems (e.g. VX Works, embedded Linux, QNX)
• Proven ability to identify new technologies and principles, to rapidly develop product concepts based on such technologies.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly present to larger groups
• Ability to learn rapidly, driving to creative—yet practical—solutions from rough requirements
• Real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems!
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that will improve millions of people’s lives!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.