Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Electrical Engineer (Firmware and Embedded Systems)
Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180341
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a FPGA design and embedded systems focused Electrical Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. The Electrical Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to help us invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the APD group, with focused contribution on embedded system logic and architecture for robotic surgical platforms. As a member of the team, you will be involved in delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions, and seeing these through to product release.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential to become a valuable integrator and system developer. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Contribute as a core architect in the definition and specification of future productsQualifications
• Work on a cross-functional team to design, develop and verify embedded software in da Vinci™ Surgical System products
• Create, document, implement, unit test, and help develop detailed software designs in an exciting and sophisticated robotic system
• Perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations
• Support definition, bring-up and integration of new custom PCAs and FPGA IP
• Develop, simulate, and enhance programmable logic designs using Verilog HDL
• Design, implement, and verify high-speed serial communications interfaces and inter-processor communication subsystems
• Extend current processing frameworks to new processors and hardware designs
• Follow rigorous design control methodology from design specification through design transfer to manufacturing
• Write detailed design documentation, including specifications and verification plans
• Interface with other engineering disciplines including mechanical and software
• Perform other electrical engineering duties as needed
• Control and integration of external OEM devices
• SW build, change control, and development/test process improvement
• Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product concepts
• Document according to Intuitive’s development guidelines
• Masters degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
• 5+ years industry experience in developing and supporting embedded systems
• Recent, product-focused experience designing complex FPGA-based systems
• Experience with the following:
o Real-time, multi-tasking, embedded operating systems or other embedded real-time processing frameworkso Logic verification and test benches at the module and system levelso Static timing constraints and verificationo FPGA design and verification tools, Xilinx Vivado, and ModelSim preferredo Communication systems including architecture and protocols implementation, switching fabrics and layered communications design is highly desiredo High-speed digital interfaces (electrical and optical) and signal-integrity is desiredo Designing to meet EMI and EMC requirements
• Familiarity with a broad range of electronic components and hardware, including FPGAs, memories, logic, signal conditioning, and communication interfaces
• Familiarity with software programming languages: C and Python preferred
• Familiarity with schematic capture tools (OrCAD preferred)
• Significant individual contributor (in EE role) on at least 3 new-product introductions built in significant production volume
• Experience with standard bench test equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, etc.
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded hardware and software problems
• Experience working on product-focused designs
• Demonstrated experience in and comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission/safety critical applications is desired
• Comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Hands-on engineering experience with proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• Interest in the medical applications of robotics!
• Real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems!
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that will improve millions of people’s lives!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.