Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Embedded Software Engineer, Robotic Systems
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Company Description:
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness. Patient safety is our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Work with an incredibly talented team to design and build the embedded software platform and feature set for next-generation surgical robotic systems. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work on a cross functional team to develop technical specifications and evaluate design trade-offs – specifically in the area of platform/infrastructure software• Design and development of product-focused, rock-solid, C++ software in a heterogeneous, multi-processor SoC/FPGA/real-time-embedded environment• Develop software for embedded Linux devices:
o Customize and productize embedded Linux distributionso Create drivers that interface with custom FPGA deviceso Design and implement multi-threaded, distributed system C++ applications• Contribute broadly to many areas of software development, including but not limited to:
o Extension of current frameworks to new processors and operating systemso Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product concepts
• Work with electrical engineers to bring up new, custom hardware
• Passionate about developing cross-platform, object-oriented C++ code
• Experience developing for embedded Linux devices
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded hardware and software problems
• Experience working on product-focused designs in a team environment
• Great communication skills
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves many people’s lives
• Bachelors or Masters degree in Software, Electrical, or Computer Engineering
• 8 years industry experience with a Bachelors degree (or 6 years industry experience with a Masters degree) developing and supporting embedded systems
• Desire to contribute to engineering tools development to enhance team productivity.
• Comfortable working with revision control systems such as SVN and Git and build systems such as GNU Make and CMake
• Knowledge of Python
• Demonstrated experience in and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
• Experience designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, risk analysis, and mitigations