Intuitive Surgical Careers
Operations Logistics Manager
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
Lead the Logistics Team to achieve departmental and corporate goals associated with the distribution functions. Manager interdepartmental and logistics supplier relations to assure successful execution of the quarterly sales plan. Ship finished goods using lean principles and the guidelines established by the company, ISO and SOX, in support of customer requirements. Exhibit continuous improvement principles and provide strategic analysis to support logistics growth and efficiency improvement. Work with customs brokers and freight forwarders to adhere to customs regulations during execution of international shipments of both finished goods and raw material.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage all activities and related systems information associated with the distribution of finished goods materials as well as raw material shipments to off shore manufacturing sites. Areas of responsibility include: resource management in the distribution center to assure on time shipment of sales orders on a daily basis, inventory control, material handling, import-export licensing, cost management, analysis of transportation methods, insurance requirements and management of duties and taxes associated with international shipping.
- Proactively manage freight forwarding suppliers to assure their resources are properly allocated to meet the ISI quarter end business requirements.
- Assure effective communications with Sales, Contracts, ISI Field Engineers, and freight forwarding dispatchers to enable flawless, on-time system deliveries.
- Cultivate inter-department relationships to allow cross functional resolution of issues.
- Maximize efficiencies associated with duties and taxes to assure cost effective solutions relating to international shipping.
- Assure the Logistics team completes all necessary elements as required by customs associated with shipping components to off shore manufacturing sites and the movement of completed devices from off shore manufacturing sites to the domestic distribution center.
- Establish Logistics operational strategies and objectives. Review objectives with senior management to determine success of operation. Communicate goals and objectives with your team to assure understanding and successful execution.
- Demonstrate leadership ability in hiring, training and developing employees and lead the Logistics team to achieve department and corporate goals.
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
- Make strategic logistics decisions to benefit the company up to 4 years in the future.
- Apply analytical skills to identify and employ strategies to meet shipment deadlines above expectations
- Ensure that company procedures including SOX, Customs and FDA requirements are understood and adhered to.
- Evaluate and provide annual performance feedback to direct reports.
- Implement short-term problem containment and long-term corrective actions for distribution and customs issues.
- Negotiate with logistics suppliers to achieve the best cost and delivery possible.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of current systems and processes.
- Identify gaps within the department and develop plans to close as necessary (ie. training, lean, capacity, headcount, external logistics support).
- AA, BS degree or equivalent and 5+ years of experience managing distribution operations in a manufacturing environment.
- Significant computer experience including MS Office products and ERP systems, preferably SAP.
- Proven track record of being an effective leader in a fast paced, high volume manufacturing or distribution company.
- Detailed understanding of material movement in a manufacturing environment, including; import and export requirements, regulatory guidelines, high volume parcel shipments and capital equipment freight shipments.
- Proven ability to manage Logistics supplier relationships to meet corporate goals and requirements including RC/CA management.
- Detailed understanding of customs regulations associated with but not limited to Customs Reconciliation, NAFTA Certificates of Origin for Importing and Exporting, Country of Origin Marking Waivers, 9801 & 9802 Manufacturer’s Affidavits, Truck Transponders, CTPAT, Customs Clearance, ECCN Coding, Government Audit Requirements, Carnet Preparation, INCOTERMS, Letters of Credit, Commercial Invoices and Duty Drawback.
- Demonstrates concern for precision and thoroughness.
- Proven ability to lead a high performance team to consistently achieve stretch goals and objectives.
- Ability to provide positive direction by encouraging employees to have a commitment to high standards of quality and performance.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects successfully.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effectively manages task breakdown, helps keep individual contributors on task, player-coach, ability to step in and perform hard tasks.
- Ability to perform headcount and freight cost analysis and provide recommendations for reduction / improvement.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Work typically involves sitting and computer use (60 to 70% of hours worked) although occasional walking and lifting (up to 35 pounds) may be required.