Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer - User Interface
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Description of Position:
The da Vinci system pushes the frontier of human-machine interaction by fusing many technologies into a core product experience – technologies such as 3D immersive vision, real-time haptic interface and robotic manipulators. The Interaction Design team plays a key role at Intuitive Surgical, with responsibilities that cut across multiple technical disciplines to create products that make customers’ experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring.
The Sr. Software Engineer (UI) works collaboratively within a cross-functional team to develop the graphical user interface for both existing and future robotic systems in the da Vinci product line. The Sr. Software Engineer (UI) is passionate about both the function and finish of digital interfaces, with expertise in a broad range of development environments. The ideal candidate is an independent and fast-paced developer with excellent problem-solving skills, capable of producing robust, high-quality code in the face of rapidly changing requirements.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Develop world-class digital interfaces. Develop simple and elegant interfaces for the da Vinci product line, using Qt and other tools in an embedded C/C++ environment. Maintain superior development standards from prototypes through production.
2. Implement the visual language of the product. Collaborate with interaction and visual designers to produce beautiful and functional interfaces.
3. Contribute to system and software architecture. Work with other members of the engineering team to define the architecture and select the tools used for system graphical interfaces.
4. Explore new user interface technologies. Work with mechanical and electrical engineers to explore new user interface technologies. Rapidly iterate on prototypes of those technologies to assess feasibility and value.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Software, Electrical or Computer Engineering preferred• Minimum of 5 years industry experience developing and supporting digital interfaces• Demonstrated experience in all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification and maintenance• Experience with GUI development frameworks; experience with Qt a plus• Experience with 3D graphics framework (such as OpenGL) a strong plus• Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.