Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex robotic systems for use in minimally invasive surgical applications. Our systems engineering team is committed to utilizing cutting-edge research and technology to develop innovative design solutions for our current and next generation surgical robot systems.
We are seeking a candidate with exceptional machine design and analytical skills to develop and verify new mechanical designs. As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, your role is to utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment, as well as rigorous design analysis in the design of surgical robotics products. You will be responsible for key subsystems and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes, productize new designs as well as refine existing subsystem designs. You will be expected to excel in a focused, high-energy, collaborative work environment with a team of talented engineers. You should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Develop world-class designs of components and subsystems that meet performance, reliability, manufacturability and cost targets
• Evaluate designs via prototype testing and rigorous mathematical analysis
• Work with NPI engineering to develop manufacturing processes that result in high quality, reliable products
• Work with supplier engineering to identify and grow vendors to supply consistent, quality components
• Create functional and design specifications and component drawings
• Develop and execute verification testing
• Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
• Appreciates and revels in soaking up knowledge from mentors and experience from effort
• Ability to bring a practiced engineering intuition to bear on issues and then back it up w/ solid engineering execution
• Ability develop complex mechanical designs and convey them simply and clearly to others using basic engineering concepts
• Proficient using CAD to design and document mechanisms, Solidworks preferred
• Understanding of materials as they relate to design and manufacturability
• Communicates clearly verbally and in writing.
• BSME required, MSME preferred
• 3+ years of industry experience in developing robotic designs, ideally in Medical field
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.