Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Industrial Designer
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
A Senior Industrial Designer will help design the next-generation robotic surgery systems as well as refine and evolve existing product lines. Senior industrial designers are very hands on, helping to translate real user insight into actionable design opportunities and successful user experiences.
As a natural collaborator and strong verbal communicator, the senior industrial designer will work our process partners (engineering, clinical development, human factors, user research and marketing) on the framing and definition of future product opportunities. With an ability to explore, prototype and test a wide range of new ideas with incredible 2D and 3D tools, the senior industrial designer visualizes opportunity and helps build consensus on the right path forward.
As a natural storyteller, the senior industrial designer will create effective presentations that illustrate new user benefits and opportunities for Intuitive. Focusing on the physical aspects of the product, she/he employs a comprehensive understanding of brand, aesthetics, form, proportion, color and materials that transform complex mechanical designs into elegant forms that are usable, beautiful, and manufacturable. Senior industrial designers lead projects, help mentor, and provide guidance to junior designers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
A senior industrial designer is responsible for defining the industrial design of new da Vinci products. Working with company stakeholders, creative direction, interaction and visual design, product marketing, engineering, human factors, user research, clinical development and manufacturing the senior industrial designer creates compelling, user centered design solutions that will improve user experience and drive company growth.
The senior industrial designer:
- Is organized and comfortable leading cross-functional brainstorms and team meetings
- Is reliable and dedicated to achieving the highest quality design output
- Employs a user centered design process to help teams frame and define opportunities
- Is a highly creative problem solver
- Works with product development and engineering groups early in product development lifecycle to generate conceptual/architectural product designs and opportunities
- Collaborates with interaction designers and engineers in the design of user interface elements such as user controls
- Prototypes early and often to inform concept development
- Embraces failure as a learning opportunity
- Uses 2D and 3D tools to create designs that combine product appeal, functionality, and manufacturability
- Oversees design and fabrication of compelling functional and/or appearance prototypes for review by team leaders and executive staff
- Works with suppliers and engineers to develop, refine, and document high-quality, cost-effective manufacturing methods
The ideal candidate must have:
- An incurable curiosity relating to all things design
- A passion for designing meaningful, revolutionary products that make an impact on people’s lives
- A bias toward action and an eagerness to support the team and the project
- Excitement for working on difficult problems with a dedicated team of high-energy, high-caliber people
- Ability to manage ambiguity and multi-task in a complex, fast-paced environment
- A natural aptitude for teamwork, thriving on brainstorming and presenting
- Healthy email communication habits making you a responsive team player
- Excellent storytelling and presentation skills and an ability to effectively communicate a user centered point of view
- Strong observational skills and experience working with user research teams
- Ability to lead and inspire other industrial designers on the team
- A strong aesthetic sensibility and artistic skill
- Ability to distill complex concepts and then quickly turn around solutions reflecting a range of simple, elegant, and technically-feasible options
- Incredible 2D visualization skills including hand sketching, Illustrator, Photoshop rendering
- A comprehensive set of prototyping skills from quick low-fi foam models to more complex functional learning prototypes
- Mastery of relevant 3D and 2D CAD tools (Rhino, Alias, Solidworks, Keyshot) to visualize compelling industrial and interaction design solutions
- Ability to translate and capture da Vinci brand attributes in compelling physical forms
- Ability to combine industrial design objectives with the objectives of our process partners
- Ability to work with engineering teams to bring successful products to market
- Deep understanding of materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience designing electro-mechanical systems with significant user interface elements a strong plus. Medical device experience a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or related field of study
- 10-12 years’ experience in the industrial design industry
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time for case observation.