Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180636
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
This position offers an opportunity for a candidate with exceptional application software and algorithm development skills to work on projects ranging from blue-sky research to those ready for transition to product development groups. A successful candidate must excel in a high-energy focused team environment, must have excellent communication skills and must be able to balance independent production of results with the need to collaborate during planning, development, integration, and evaluation of research concepts. The ability to learn rapidly, as well as to drive to creative—yet practical—solutions from rough requirements are essential in this position. The candidate will work closely with other members of the research group as well as with several other R&D teams within Intuitive. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work on a cross-functional engineering research team to design, develop, and integrate software and algorithms that will enable us to explore concepts for future surgical robotic platforms. This includes, but is not limited to the following areas:
o Develop new applications for novel display systems such as for Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and/or Mixed reality.o Develop machine vision and scene understanding algorithms to be integrated into surgical robotic systems.o Develop software to quickly prototype and evaluate research concepts using tools such as Visual studio, Python, Matlab, Unity and OpenCV.o Develop software to bring-up and evaluate third party systems, algorithms and OEM components.
• Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This will include rapid iterations of prototype development and evaluation.Qualifications
• Build applications and infrastructure that are extensible and robust while working in small teams.
• Create white papers and documentation for software architecture(s) and libraries.
• Work with, and support, external research partners and collaborators.
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must possess:
• An MS or PhD degree in Computer engineering, Software, Electrical or related fields with a minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience in developing application software.• Demonstrated expertise developing software in one or more of the following areas, with ability to grow into new areas: Machine Vision, Scene Understanding, SLAM, Machine learning, Augmented/Mixed reality, User interfaces and Graphics.• Excellent Object Oriented programming skills and hands-on experience with Visual Studio, Matlab, Python, OpenGL, Unity, OpenCV and VXL.• Hands-on experience developing machine vision, SLAM, and scene understanding algorithms are particularly desirable.• Knowledge and experience in building augmented/mixed reality application software for head mounted displays is particularly desirable.• Proven ability to identify new technologies and principles, to rapidly develop product concepts based on such technologies, within an applied research role.• Proficiency in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle.• Excellent communication and documentation skills.• Experience in design/development in the medical device industry would be a plus.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.