Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180651
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that utilizes advanced instrumentation and accessories to bring enhanced dexterity, vision, and precision to minimally invasive surgery. Accessories enable robotic surgery and may be reusable or high volume disposable medical devices.
At Intuitive Surgical, we are dedicated to making surgery more effective; less invasive; and easier on surgeons, patients, and their families.
Primary Function of Position:
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Accessories) will develop new and innovative surgical accessories for the da Vinci® Surgical System, taking them from concept to market. Our customers interact with our accessories in every surgical procedure, so they must be designed with the end user in mind. The successful candidate will understand user needs and requirements, balance and integrate individual product-level requirements with system-level requirements, resolve complex mechanical design issues, and commit to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in or lead cross-functional project teams to design and develop new surgical accessories
- Investigate clinical requirements and recognize user needs
- Create intellectual property by brainstorming novel concepts and writing invention disclosures
- Perform risk analyses; develop design requirements; reduce to practice, document, and test designs according to corporate standard and departmental operating procedures
- Support the quality and regulatory processes as required
- Contribute to the determination of future product release content
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of manufacturing and field issues. Support cost reduction efforts.
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall project goals
- Provide technical advice and mentoring
- A passion for solving tough technical problems and creating elegant and reliable products
- Minimum 7 years of industry experience designing commercial mechanical products plus BS in Mechanical Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering required (MS strongly preferred)
- Experience designing plastic components and assemblies required
- Experience with disposable medical products is a strong plus
- Experience with designing hardware products in a regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes, including injection molding, machining, MIM, plating, pad printing, laser marking, and heat treatment
- Hands-on engineer with the proven ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Experience creating rapid prototypes and mock-ups
- Strength in mechanical design and analytical methods, including statics, strength of materials, and stress analysis (FEA). Familiarity with dynamics and kinematics/robotics a plus.
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms required
- Solidworks strongly preferred
- Comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- Proven experience working directly with vendors to manufacture components
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing
- Comfortable operating measurement and test equipment
- Familiarity with sterilization processes and designing for biocompatibility
- Experience developing products to meet UL, CE, and/or FDA requirements preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and functions required
- Ability to travel up to 10% time