Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Engineer, Vision
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly-complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgical applications. We are seeking a candidate with exceptional design, troubleshooting and analytical skills to play a key role in the development and verification of new concept designs for our current and next-generation vision systems. The engineer will be equally comfortable designing new mechanical components and assemblies, developing tooling and fixtures, and producing high-quality hardware prototypes for eventual productization that meet or exceed performances regardless of thermal, material, space and other mechanical constraints. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Working with multi-disciplinary teams to develop requirements for new and current designs• Rapid design, development and iteration of full-scale prototypes• Develop and perform component verification testing and product validation testing• Concept and design documentation for a regulatory controlled environment
• A degree in ME, or similar or equivalent work experience preferred
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience with opto-mechanical design, preferably vision design experience. Surgical product experience is a plus
• A passion for details in creating robust and reliable mechanical designed for mission-critical applications
• Strong troubleshooting and hands-on prototyping skills
• Exceptional modeling and analytical skills
• Proficiency in the use of advanced analysis tools and methods, specifically SolidWorks
• Independently tests, analyzes and solves comprehensive technical problems, including component and system test, acceleration life test and leakage test
• An interest in the medical applications of robotics
• Ability to execute and document in an automated change control system component and assembly changes with vendors and demonstrate that the changes were made properly
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication
• Demonstrated ability to excel within a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.