Intuitive Surgical Careers
Manager, Clinical Development Engineering
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara County-Sunnyvale
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Building the bridge between clinical and technical to shape future surgical technologies
The Clinical Development Engineering team at Intuitive Surgical holds a unique position within product development by identifying clinical value through enabling the safe, effective, and reliable use of surgical robotic platforms and their components.
The Clinical Development Engineering Manager will lead a team of Clinical Development Engineers in the development of highly effective robotic systems, instruments and accessories that ultimately improve clinical outcomes for patients. The Clinical Development Engineering Manager provides leadership through thinking broadly, working cross-functionally, supporting collaboratively, and building strong empowering foundations. Additionally, they recruit, develop, inspire, engage and retain high performing clinical engineers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Understands the clinical needs of surgeons and monitors the progression of the state-of-the-art surgical technique to define products that provide clinical value for the patient and that are technically feasible.• Provides assessment of complex trade-offs and risks with new products to Product Development team to ensure broad market acceptance of new product designs.• Articulates process improvements that accelerate or strengthen product development processes and results.• Manages clinical development engineering activities and resources related to new product development:• Developing clinical product requirements• Assessing and documenting clinical risks• Providing clinical design guidance to engineering product design teams• Performing informal assessments of the clinical performance of prototype designs• Creating and executing formal clinical validations of final product designs• Supporting strategic planning and creation of regulatory submissions and first human use of product• Working with cross-functional user facing teams to identify and collaborate with Key opinion leaders and together provide a unified “voice of the customer”• Working with upstream colleagues to identify product enhancements and influence new ideas by leading data driven clinical evaluations and research• Working with downstream colleagues to support clinical trials for our productsand their applications, establish best practices, and validate marketing claims
o Keeps the organization’s vision, values, strategy and goals at the forefront of decision making and action
o Consistently demonstrates culture and values of the organization internally and externally
o Hires, trains and develops high performing staff, and supports their long term professional development. Coaches and provides feedback on an ongoing basis.
o Provides vision for the team ensuring successful adoption of the Intuitive Surgical products in clinical use. The leader of this function must provide an environment that encourages creativity and crisp execution.
o Develops methodology and encourages team members to use accurate data and appropriate judgment to form decisions
o Establish sub-team objectives and work goals consistent with overall and product/surgical application development goals
Facilitates priority alignment, reviews metrics and tracks progress
Assesses employee performance and provides coaching to improve performance
o Influences and builds bridges across teams to improve communication and processes; keeps team on target and collaborates with functional leadership to resolve conflicts quickly
Qualificationso Seeks, recognizes, and executes creative and simple solutions to resolve complex situations; routinely steadies the team when stressed; leads by example
• Minimum Bachelor of Science degree required in Engineering or equivalent
• 6+ years of experience in medical device product development (surgical devices preferred)
• A leader who is a consistent high performer, a continual learner and leads with emotional intelligence
• A team player. Experience managing direct reports is a plus.
• Self-starter with ability to take leadership in a fast-paced environment
• Experience interacting with surgeons and their teams in an operating room environment with recognized clinical credibility and surgical acumen
• Aptitude to cultivate collaboration across Key Opinion Leaders and influence cross-functional teams without formal authority to ensure project success
• Proven success in recognizing critical issues with the ability to react quickly under pressure and driving issues to closure by providing coordinated direction. Creative in succeeding.
• Strong project management, planning, decision making, negotiating and change management skills
• Excellent communication (written, verbal), presentation and documentation skills
• Scrub experience, cadaveric and animal surgical experience a plus
• Ability to travel up to 30%, international and domestic