Intuitive Surgical Careers
Software Engineer - System Test
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180866
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The System Test department is responsible for all Engineering Development testing of both systems and surgical instruments. The primary function of this position is to design, develop, and execute manual and automated test protocols for system functional testing, including Software verification and User Interface testing for intricate robotic surgical systems using black box, gray box, and white box testing techniques.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Design, develop and execute manual and automated test protocols for system functional testing, including Software verification and User Interface testing for intricate robotic surgical systems.
• Read, understand, update and perform manual testing.
• Run existing automated testing.
• Automate current manual testing.
• Perform white box testing when and if needed.
• Generate test reports and complete requirement tracing for all requirements under test.
• Log issues found within the issue tracking system; work with developers and cross-functional teams to debug.
• Develop tests in Python to automate the testing process at module and system level.
• Analyze test data, identify non-conformance trends, generate concise executive summaries, and recommend design improvements.
• Contribute to the verification of robotic surgical systems and instruments.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position, the individual must have:
• Strong software engineering aptitude and an interest in testing robotics.• Highly motivated in a hands-on environment, where he/she can demonstrate an ability to work with other engineers to design appropriate tests and to influence the product design to improve quality.• Minimum of two (2) years of experience in testing complex electro-mechanical systems with embedded software and firmware, or equivalent.• Working experience in development of white-box testing for embedded software. SW programming background in Python, C or C++.• Experience with scripting language for automated tests.• Experience with Verification and Validation for medical devices is a plus.• Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams, such as Software Engineering, System Analyst, Electrical, Mechanical, and Clinical Engineering.• Troubleshooting mind set - an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failure mechanisms.• Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields is preferred.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.