Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Vision Engineering)
Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180959
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute your mechanical engineering design and analysis skills to a dynamic development team creating complex manufacturing, test, measurement and calibration equipment for vision systems used in minimally invasive robotic surgery. This position will focus on developing and maintaining equipment to manufacture, test and calibrate endoscopes to meet performance, safety, reliability as well as manufacturing consistency and capacity. Individuals in this role must demonstrate mechanical manufacturing equipment or capital equipment design capabilities, and work with suppliers to develop state of the art manufacturing, test and calibration processes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority to:
• Develop and continuously improve manufacturing, test and calibration systems for image sensor, endoscope, laser and LED optical systems.
• Work closely with new product development engineers and test software engineers to understand requirements, develop robust, reliable and reproducible camera/sensor test and calibration equipment.
• Work closely with NPI process development engineers to understand requirements and develop robust and reliable manufacturing process equipment.
• Development and improve efficiency of “mid-volume” manufacturing, test and calibration processes including:
o Design, specify, prototype, document, procure, qualify, implement, and improve test equipment components and equipment.
o Test flow process development.
• Analyze, debug and root cause measurement accuracy, reliability, repeatability and reproducibility equipment issues.
• Improve test and calibration process and procedures to improve quality, yield and throughput of new products.
• Develop and maintain compliance with the quality system.
• Evaluate and select suppliers for mechanical and electrical equipment subsystems. Help resolve supplier quality issues.
• Provide design engineers with Design for Manufacturability and Design for Reliability input to ensure consistency/commonality among hardware and standard part selections across product/sub-assembly lines.
- BS in relevant field required, MS preferred.
- Minimum 5 years mechanical, equipment design engineering experience for a medium to high volume product.
- New product introduction/development desirable.
- Great attitude, eager, willing/able to take initiative, works well with others in team environment.
- Strong analytical skills to understand, analyze and improve the accuracy, repeatability and reliability of measurement equipment.
- Strong statistics and/or data analysis skills preferred.
- Experienced in ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment or other regulated field preferred.
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing concepts desirable.
- Understanding of Six Sigma methodologies desirable.
- Documentation skill must be excellent. CAD experience (Solidworks).
- Use of Agile or similar lifecycle management tool.
- Able to travel periodically to work with suppliers. German language skills would be a plus. (approximately 4 times per year)
- Machine shop skills desirable.
- Experience with development of precision test equipment in optics/lasers preferred.
- Understanding of cameras, lasers or optical systems a plus.