Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Laser Welding and Marking)
Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180968
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
Creatively apply your technical manufacturing and mechanical design expertise to a dynamic role developing novel laser processes and equipment to produce pioneering endoscopes for minimally invasive robotic surgery. Develop induction soldering equipment and processes to seal hermetic devices at lower temperatures. As a key member of the Vison team, you will advance innovative product concepts from the design to full-scale manufacturing. The ideal candidate will collaborate across the organization to refine designs for manufacturability, develop new manufacturing processes/equipment, and establish long-term sustainability.
Individuals in this role must demonstrate excellent knowledge of lean manufacturing, process development and be able to work with suppliers to develop state of the art manufacturing lines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority to:
• Work with Vision team and suppliers to develop Lasers, and Automated Equipment for Laser Welding, Cutting and Marking of metals and plastics.
• Work with Vision team and suppliers to develop induction soldering equipment and processes for hermetic sealing.
• Specify, develop and characterize Lasers and processes that will make our products world class. Responsibilities include:
o Part Design requirements
o Specifying and maintaining Laser Systems, product specific Laser Process Recipes & Workholding
o Work Instructions (WI’s), Manufacturing Process Instructions (MPI’s)
o Metrology/Test Methods, Validation Packages and Protocols (DQ,IQ,OQ,PQ)
o Creating whitepapers (”Theory of Operations”, Process Characterization, Limit Testing, etc)
• Improve the quality, reliability, and cost of existing equipment and processes.
• Improve process and procedures to improve quality and yield of new products.
• Develop and maintain compliance with the quality system and line safety.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or a related field Required – MS a plus
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3 years’ experience
- Fundamental laser process knowledge (weld, cut, mark) & metrology desired
- CNC Multi-Axis Programming, PLC ladder logic and HMI programming a plus
- AGILE, SAP and MKS experience desired
- Mechanical design expertise (SolidWorks CAD skills desired)
- Cognex vision system programming a plus
- Understanding of Statistical Process Control and its application
- Ability to travel to suppliers on an as needed basis
- “Hands on” individual capable of operating in a fast paced environment
- New product introduction/development experience desirable.
- Proven track record of team work and willingness to take initiatives in solving product and manufacturing problems.
- Basic knowledge of clean room techniques (Class 1000). Clean manufacturing and tooling.