Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior NPI Buyer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180987
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
• Key member of a high performance NPI project team.
• Responsible for procuring materials, components, and equipment and for materials project management in support of NPI (New Products Introduction) builds.
• Gathers quotations, understands key supplier capabilities and matches those capabilities to new designs and project schedules.
• Tracks and updates orders, delivery commitments and inventory receipts both inside and outside of MRP. Ensures adequate supply is in place for production ramp-up of new products.
• Works in collaboration with Supply Chain Management to ensure the use of appropriate supplier strategy in time for new product release to production purchasing.
• Determines material requirements from engineering and New Product build schedules, and maintains inventory at planned levels.
• Evaluates supplier reliability and works with Supplier Development Engineering and Supply Chain Management to develop new supply sources as needed. Monitors cost, schedule, and scope of assigned NPI projects.
• Ensures materials for new products are ready for production release in time to meet project schedules.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Use thorough forecasting and proper planning techniques to ensure that optimal inventory levels of commodities are maintained to meet engineering and production ramp up requirements.Qualifications
• Apply extensive new product introduction/R&D purchasing experience to minimize material lead times and insure on time delivery of material to support NPI project schedules.
• Work with engineering to assist suppliers in developing efficient fabrication processes.
• Identify second sources for critical components as necessary
• Participate in the continuous improvement of current systems and processes.
• Work with Supply Chain Management to identify and qualify new supplier resources.
• Identify potential supplier capacity issues to Supply Chain Management. Work with Supply Chain Management to resolve these issues and to insure no impact on project schedules.
• Create, update, and publish project material cost models.
• Quickly and proactively resolve and/or escalate issues related to delivery, supplier performance, quality or cost.
• Ensure and maintain accuracy of all applicable reports, PO’s, component item master information, etc. Work with engineering and production control to insure BOMs are accurate and will function in a production environment.
• Provide direction and/or effectively delegate critical tasks as needed. Be a functional, productive member of a high performance team.
• 7-10 years experience in materials of which minimum 5 years is direct experience in purchasing in New Product Introduction (NPI), R&D, and/or engineering support environments with a demonstrated successful track record of increasing responsibility.
• BS in Business, Mechanical or Electrical engineering or equivalent education/experience.
• Must have significant computer experience using Windows, Word, Excel (advanced skills preferred) and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP and Agile.
• MS Office skills ( MS Outlook, PowerPoint, strong Excel skills)
• Experience working with engineers and manufacturing resources for prototype parts procurement, pilot activities and production launch of new products.
• ECO implementation experience required.
• Familiar with project management techniques for new product introduction.
• Familiarity with contract and cost negotiation techniques.
• Ability to enjoy and work effectively in a fast paced environment of constant change. Ability to manage change quickly and gracefully.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills a must. Ability to communicate at both high (strategic) and detailed (tactical) levels as required. Diplomacy and “grace under fire” a must.
• Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to proactively follow-up on areas of responsibility in a timely manner.
• Ability to host early AM conference calls with few suppliers (domestic and abroad in Europe)
• Ability to walk across the factory, move materials, lift packages up to 35 lbs., and read and have a basic understanding of engineering drawings.
• ~15% travel to both domestic and international suppliers
• Desired (not mandatory) skills : Knowledge of Optics, Prisms, Lens, Light filtering, coatings, Fluency in German
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.