Intuitive Surgical Careers
Simulation Content Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 180996
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical manufactures the da Vinci Simulator for use in the training of da Vinci surgical systems. The da Vinci is used in minimally-invasive surgical applications. Simulation plays an important role in the improvement of robot-assisted surgeon proficiency. The Senior Simulation Content Software Engineer position offers an opportunity for a candidate with exceptional software and virtual reality/video games engineering skills to develop novel VR surgical simulation content to support the Simulator. A successful candidate will be equally comfortable developing simulation software interfaces to highly-complex robotic systems and instruments. The candidate should also be passionate about using video gaming and serious gaming to create engaging educational applications.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The candidate must have experience working in the graphics simulations area and be proficient in both 3D modeling and 3D rendering. The candidate will collaborate with world class software developers to produce complex, but robust software solutions. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment, and be capable of owning and completing tasks with the time pressures typical of new product development.
Specific responsibilities for the Senior Simulation Content Software Engineer include:
- Work under the guidance of Simulation Content Manager
- Develop, maintain and support new 3D simulation content
- Prototype new 3D simulation exercises under the requirements set forth
- Take prototypes of 3D simulation exercises and turn them into production quality.
- Work with other engineers to prototype new simulation technologies and ideas
- Understand the da Vinci Robotics Platform streaming API’s and be able to consume streaming data inside our rendering engines.
- Develop software adhering to the ISI coding standards and good software development practices (unit testability, source code control, etc.)
- Simulation Content Software Engineers have responsibility for ensuring that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and comply with the design control processes in the Quality Management System, as appropriate
- Execute systematic and aggressive evidence based troubleshooting techniques
- Develop algorithms to track performance metrics within the virtual environment
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science
- Minimum 5 years industry experience in developing software, preferably in industry standard video game or VR simulation development frameworks
- Strong working knowledge in one of the following low-level 3D API’s: OpenGL, Direct3D, X3D.
- Good working knowledge in a 3D modeling software package such as: AutoCAD, Anim8tor, Autodesk 3ds Max.
- Strong C/C++ Windows programming experience
- Strong Python programming experience
- Experience as a key player developing software on a development team.
- Demonstrated ability to systematically troubleshoot and debug complex software applications.
- Familiarity with version control and standard software engineering development
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interest in developing virtual reality content to meet specific training objectives
- An interest in the medical applications of robotics, with the ability to view surgical procedures and medical images.
- Ability to learn rapidly, driving to creative – yet practical – solutions from rough requirements.
- The ability to excel within a high-energy, small, focused team environment, maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of time
- Ability to carry objects up to 50 lbs