Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Interaction Designer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181107
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
The da Vinci system pushes the frontier of human-machine interaction by fusing many technologies into a core product experience – technologies such as 3D immersive vision, real-time haptic interface and robotic manipulators. Interaction Design is a key role at Intuitive Surgical, with responsibilities that cut across multiple technical disciplines to create products that make customers’ experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring.
The Senior Interaction Designer works collaboratively with engineering teams to help develop new products in the da Vinci product line, including robotic systems, instruments and accessories. Interaction designers provide first-hand knowledge of user interaction with our products, develop and prototype new user interface concepts, and perform evaluations to quickly iterate and converge on designs that are safe and delight our users.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design world class physical and digital interfaces. Maintain superior design standards and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems being solved by working with the clinical engineering, product managers and the engineering team.
- Organize and participate in user research activities. Collect detailed information about how users interact with the da Vinci product through ethnography and other techniques. Synthesize key insights from research and report them back to the product development team.
- Contribute to the visual language of the product. The candidate will collaborate with visual designers to produce beautiful and functional interfaces.
- Contribute to design documentation, risk analysis and testing. Write user interface specifications that communicate design intent to engineering and that can be verified by testing. In collaboration with Human Factors Engineers, analyze designs for safety risks in light of potential use errors, and design mitigations for those risks. Participate in the validation of product usability through informal and formal testing with representative users.
- Eight years of experience in product design (in-house, agency, or freelance)
- Preference for Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or an engineering discipline
- Proven record of bringing products to market that contain complex user interactions, especially products with physical interactions that are not solely web- or software-based
- Proficient in the use of current design tools and software applications
- Possess a strong aesthetic sense and some artistic skill in addition to superior technical competence
- Experience with GUI programming in either prototype or production environments is a plus
- Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.