Intuitive Surgical Careers
Machine Learning Scientist
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-US-GA-Norcross
Requisition ID: 181356
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures state-of-the-art robot-assisted systems for use in minimally-invasive surgery. Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Applied Research team, responsible for machine learning, advanced analytics, and new technology development focused on surgical workflow and performance for next generation robotic surgery platforms.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to initiate and drive new research directions, and have a commitment to high research quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the research team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Exploration and development of machine learning algorithms for spatiotemporal analysis, including multiclass classification, clustering, temporal segmentation, sequence labeling, and spatial segmentation.• Development of new technologies and digital products to improve surgeon and team performance on robotic surgery platforms.• Support academic collaborations in related fields.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Contributing to multiple areas of research, including but not limited to the following:
o Designing and applying machine learning algorithms to novel, surgical applicationso Characterizing surgeon and team behavior and workflow to optimize new technologieso Fully integrating machine learning into core digital products and intelligent systemso Conducting user studies to evaluate digital product concepts
• Establishing strong academic collaborations across research disciplines• Presenting research at international conferences and publishing research in top academic journals
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience). In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
• Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or Neuroscience, or Master's degree with minimum (3) years industry experience developing machine learning applications
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Interested in early research and development through to product roll-out
• Solid understanding of statistics, machine learning, and deep learning algorithms and techniques is required
• Experience with sequence modeling, image analysis, and/or temporal segmentation on real-world data is required
• Experience with Python and C/C++ is required
• Hands-on experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Theano, Caffe, and/or Torch is required
• Hands-on experience with CNNs, RNNs, and LSTMs is ideal
• Experience with R, SQL is ideal
• Experience with clinical studies is a plus
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally (5-15%)
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.