Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 181365
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
This position works as part of the Secondary Markets Engineering group to develop the electronic aspects of secondary markets products, support issues related to the production of those products, and support mature system products when they encounter design issues in the field. This role will interface closely with other engineering teams, manufacturing, and field support in both the development of new systems and to help them isolate and resolve difficult system problems encountered in production and the field. Position will be hands-on and directly involved with design, root cause analysis, and problem resolution. Position will also be responsible for devising and documenting techniques for improved fault tolerance and isolation and finding ways to impart that knowledge throughout the organization. Responsibilities will include analog/digital PCA, position sensors, motor control, FPGA, power subsystem, electro-mechanical design, Cabling & Interconnect, and OEM HW design, integration, and support.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide engineering design and support (failure analysis, & problem resolutions) including analog/digital PCA, position sensors, motor control, FPGA, power subsystem, electro-mechanical design, Cabling & Interconnect, and OEM HW.Qualifications
• Work with hardware engineering and software design to integrate new designs, define problems, and analyze the data to determine root cause and resolve electrical and electronic issues.
• Lead efforts to investigate and resolve FPGA based design issues.
• Develop and update Risk Management documentation (including FMEAs) related to electrical subsystem as needed.
• Maintain accurate documentation of all actions required to resolve system issues using the engineering issue tracking system and follow up with engineering, manufacturing, contract manufacturing, and suppliers as needed to ensure upstream corrective actions are taken as needed.
• Contribute to process improvements in engineering and manufacturing.
• Develop & debug electrical portion of custom manufacturing test fixtures.
• Provide input to the product design process in accordance with defined development procedures.
Provide feedback to development teams to incorporate lessons learned
• Assurance of Design History Records (DHRs) for systems used in formal V&V testing.
• Perform V&V testing by developing test plans and procedures followed by execution of the tests and creation of the related reports.
• Perform documentation activities to include design validation, risk analysis, and design review. Create regular reports on failure trends, including pareto analysis, etc.
• Analyze product designs to expose potential failures and develop ways to mitigate potential failures.
• Bachelors Degree in electrical or electronic engineering. Masters Degree preferred. 5 to 8 years experience.
• Significant experience working on complex system design & fault isolation. Preference given to applicants having job experience working in a product support environment in the medical industry with complex robotic devices.
• Ability to read and interpret electronic schematics.
• Working knowledge of FPGA’s and debugging complex software/FPGA interaction issues preferred. Experience with Xilinx FPGAs preferred.
• Working knowledge of scripting languages, Python preferred.
• Ability to read and understand the “C” software language.
• Demonstrated ability to work with computers, electronics, servo-mechanical devices, and standard software applications.
• Excellent system level problem solving and trouble shooting skills to FRU (or component) level.
• Troubleshooting mind set - an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failures.
• “Self-starter” attitude and comfort in a hands-on environment, where he/she can demonstrate an ability to work with other engineers to influence product design to improve reliability.
• Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written across all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated excellent decision making skills required.
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of problems.
• Strong track record of continuous improvement.
• Working knowledge of Requirements Standards EN60601-1 and EN60601-1-2 for Medical Equipment Safety and EMC compliance.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.