Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181487
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Intuitive Surgical is the industry pioneer and leader in robotic-assisted surgical systems. Our da Vinci Surgical System is an advanced platform for minimally invasive surgery that has touched the lives of more than four million patients worldwide. Our system acts as a natural extension of a surgeon’s eyes and hands through a combination of cutting-edge robotics, immersive 3D stereoscopic vision, and intuitive human-interface controls, all driven by an advanced software platform. Over the past two decades, this revolutionary technology has brought about a new era in minimally invasive surgery. As we mark our 22nd year, we are looking for an Upstream Senior Product Manager to join the team in defining and building the advanced surgical platforms of the future.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The Product Manager supports da Vinci® product development from concept approval to launch. This includes assisting with the product roadmap, conducting user research, analyzing disparate data sources for insights, making product and feature proposals, writing product requirements, shepherding the product through development, conducting user testing, and working with our downstream product marketing rollout teammates to ensure a successful launch. The Product Manager has a strong understanding of the customer-facing features of the da Vinci® system (including clinical application) as well as a solid grounding in the underlying technical implementation. The Product Manager represents the voice of the customer (business needs) and the voice of the user (user needs) to the design engineering teams and other internal business partners during the product development process encouraging sound yet timely decision making.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Assist with product portfolio and product feature development by working with company stakeholders to strategically support the business goals of the company. Communicate the short term and long-range product objectives to business partners, garnering alignment.Qualifications
• Support the development of business justifications for new products and features by engaging with customers and working with internal partners. Develop business analyses by creatively utilizing disparate data sources to tell compelling stories and facilitate sound data-driven decision-making.
• Define and conduct user research including interviews, questionnaires, case observations, focus groups, and user testing. Synthesize information, develop strategies and recommendations and communicate findings to the rest of the organization.
• Create and refine the product requirements with input and feedback from customers and internal partners. Negotiate product requirements with company stakeholders and ensure the product is kept in alignment with the needs of the customer and business during the course of development. Redirect engineering activities as needed to ensure a timely delivery of a successful product to market.
• Evolve the product strategy by developing a framework for decision-making. Shepherd the product through its development via relentless identification and closure of user, technical, and business issues.
• Think carefully about the user, business, and development impact of product decisions. Be creative about marshaling resources to complete objectives (including filling in when no one else can) and provide clarity on product direction when possible. Continue to drive progress in the face of ambiguity.
• Facilitate efficient and sound decision-making during the development process to ensure that the new product designs are aligned with user needs, business needs, and established design principles.
• Consolidate the results of user testing performed by product marketing, human factors, interaction design, and clinical engineering teams. Communicate conclusions and recommendations to product development teams.
• Engage with industrial design and interaction design efforts on new product designs by establishing design requirements, prioritizing design efforts, coordinating design reviews, and documenting and communicating design decisions.
• Manage business relationships with key development partners ensuring healthy dialogue and clear, efficient decision-making.
• Collaborate closely with the downstream product marketing teammates to ensure a successful launch (e.g. product training, core positioning and messaging content, collateral development, case observations etc.)
• Must be a highly passionate individual that notices and cares about design details and the users' experience with the product.• Minimum 8 years of experience as an Engineer, Designer, Product Manager or Product Marketing Manager desired with a history of defining, developing and launching excellent products.• BS degree in Biomedical, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, or demonstrated experience of bringing highly engineered products to market is highly preferred. Masters in a related field or demonstrated business acumen is preferred.• Experience with minimally invasive surgical robotics systems desired. Medical device experience is highly preferred. Combination of hardware and software based development experience is preferred including Graphical User Interface development.• Hands on technical experience with mechanical design, materials and processes, Industrial Design and Interaction Design preferred.• Experience with mining large data sources for insights preferred.• Knowledge of minimally invasive surgery market is preferred.• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience presenting to peers and Management.• Experience managing technical product requirements is preferred.• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure product success and ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority. This includes the ability to work well in bridging communication between engineering, design, marketing, sales, and customers.• Ability to set and meet goals based on department and corporate objectives.• Ability to work in surgical labs and operating rooms is required.• Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.