Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181701
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgery. Our engineers are committed to leveraging cutting-edge research and technology to develop innovative design solutions for our current and next generation robotic systems and ultimately produce high quality products that benefit patients.
We are seeking a candidate with an analytical mind and exceptional machine design skills to conceptualize, develop and deliver new mechanical designs. As a Mechanical Design Engineer, your role is to use creativity and engineering judgment to design the kinematics, actuation and sensing solutions for our robots. You will own the design of key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. You will be part of a team of talented engineers in a focused, high energy, collaborative work environment, challenged to make sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and ambiguous or incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Work within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designsQualifications
• Development of mechanical assemblies, with careful consideration for drivetrain components, servo motors, sensors, safety mechanisms, and failure contingencies
• Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures and mechanism designs
• Design for reliability, cost and manufacturability
• Collaboration with manufacturing to create product assembly tooling, fixtures and instructions
• Collaboration with manufacturing to define assembly processes and fixtures, and with vendors on component fabrication methods
• Development and execution of design verification and product validation testing
• Support for testing and production of final product by troubleshooting emerging design, manufacturing or component issues
• Authorship of design documentation for a regulatory controlled environment
• BSME, or similar. Post-graduate study or equivalent work experience preferred.
• 6-8 years of experience designing and engineering commercial mechanical and electromechanical products. Experience with mechanism design, robotics, and/or medical products are a strong plus.
• Excited about the medical applications of robotics
• Passion for details in creating robust and reliable machines designed for mission-critical applications
• Strong concept development, design analysis, hands-on prototyping, and performance and reliability testing skills
• Proficiency using CAD and advanced analysis tools to design mechanisms. SolidWorks experience preferred
• Thorough understanding of engineering materials, component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Comfortable with the product development lifecycle including concept development, design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Diligence in documenting and executing changes in components, assemblies, processes, and work instructions in an automated change control system.
• Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.