Intuitive Surgical Careers
Clinical Development Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181702
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Clinical Development Engineer will conduct clinical research to identify promising areas for product development. A successful candidate will be technically focused, hands-on, and work with the research team to create new product/therapy opportunity assessments, contributing to new device and solution development and expanding indications.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Create and analyze potential robotics solutions across a wide variety of medical applications for a revolutionary platform
o Understand and evaluate efficacy, safety, and operational gaps of different procedureso Decomposition of episodes of care and index procedures to identify the key needs and develop solutions in the applicationo Research patient subtypes and volumes of those patients for which a robotics solution could be a benefito Analyze the other devices and companies, etc. on the market from a clinical perspectiveo Analyze evidence strategy needed for clinical adoptiono Provide key insights to the research team
• Engage and manage KOLs in multiple areas; conduct physician interviews and synthesize responsesQualifications
• Conduct pre-clinical validations and design iteration assessments of products both internally and with external key opinion leaders
• Conduct formal validation testing for new products, product updates and modifications to existing designs, to ensure the clinical safety and efficacy of the product
• Support clinical evaluation of new or enhanced products at key customer sites. Support customer training for new features under evaluation.
• Author field feedback reports to product development comparing real world performance vs expected performance, identify unmet needs and represent the voice of the customer
• Support design history documentation
• Minimum of B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in medical device industry
• Excellent teamwork skills and willingness to cultivate collaboration across multiple disciplines
• Ability to understand clinical applications in a variety of fields and communicate effectively with physicians
• Excellent analytical capability and practical skills to develop and test a thesis and draw succinct conclusions
• Mechanical aptitude, intuition for spatial relations and the ability to predict the performance of a novel mechanisms
• Sound knowledge of anatomy and clinical language
• Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and presentation skills
• Ability to work on multiple, early-stage projects simultaneously
• Interest and experience in CAD, 3D printing, hands on prototyping a big plus
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.