Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer, Instruments
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181703
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will help develop new flexible instruments and accessories while addressing performance, cost, and reliability requirements. A successful candidate will have strong technical depth in key areas for mechanical design, catheter design, and materials selection, but also have breadth to support multiple different research projects and prototypes. The candidate will also technically manage projects across groups and vendors and have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work in a small cross-functional project team to design, develop and verify designs for flexible surgical instruments and accessories.
o Develop concepts from Clinical, Marketing and Customer inputs including early prototyping of designs.o Interface with internal groups and external groups providing technical leadership of projects. Some level of scheduling required.o Design and perform tests, critically analyze results, and make design changes or recommendations with the design team.o Investigate and determine root cause of emerging design, manufacturing or material defectso Provide support for pre-clinical and clinical labso Generate IP and evaluate opportunities from a technical perspective
• Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
• BS Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or related engineering or scientific discipline required, MS Preferred.
• Minimum 12 years of experience developing commercial medical products. Experience with plastics, injection molding, or disposable medical products are a strong plus
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to Manufacturing
• Experience with catheters and endoscopes a plus
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
• Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Able to understand releasing controlled medical device documentation such as design specification, drawings and test reports required. Candidate should feel comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Experience with machining a plus
• Project management experience a plus
• Knowledge of component manufacturing processes
• Proficient at process development and creation of assembly instructions
• Ability to work on multiple early stage projects at the same time.
• Ability to travel up to 10% time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.