Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer-Embedded Systems
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181930
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. The Senior Software Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to help us invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
The successful candidate will contribute broadly to embedded, real-time software for the control of robotic manipulators with a focus on messaging architectures for embedded subsystems. This role will require making architectural and product platform-level software decisions in addition to individual contributions to implementation and testing.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, small team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and will work to ensure your success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Communicate with Electrical Engineers and Robotics Controls Engineers to understand software requirements and prioritiesQualifications
• Develop algorithms and abstractions for the integration of new software with existing production software
• Define, implement, and test software designs
• Document and present software designs to various stakeholders across the organization
• Maintain coding standards through unit tests and code reviews
• Support the bring up and testing of prototype hardware
• Mentor junior software engineers
• Help develop key intellectual property
Skills / Job Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, with minimum of 7 years of industry experience or Master’s degree with minimum of 5 years of industry experience
• Expert-level experience with C/C++, including modern C++ programming techniques
• Strong experience with Python, familiarity with MATLAB is also a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly present designs to larger groups
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded software and hardware problems
• Experience with software development for embedded systems using inter-process communication (IPC) and multithreading/multitasking on embedded Linux and real-time operating systems such as QNX
• Experience with the implementation of complex algorithms
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired
• Comfort and familiarity with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.