Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Manager Supplier Engineering-Instruments and Accessories
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 181950
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Manage a team of senior level Supplier Engineers with the main focus on products in production. The successful candidate will have an ability to lead a team, understand and solve complex issues associated with the supplier manufacturing process, quality and business inter-relationships. This person will develop supplier quality systems and manufacturing processes to effectively sustain suppliers and parts in production.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Lead a team of supplier engineers in strategic supplier selection, evaluation, development, and improvement with the goal of establishing and maintaining a high performing, long term sustainable production supply chain.
Supplier Selection and Evaluation
• Lead a product family in developing and implementing a robust long term supplier strategy.• Select and evaluate suppliers that fit the supplier strategy and influence key stakeholders to utilize and maximize the use of the Production supply base.• Ensure compliance to quality management system and regulatory requirements by performing as a lead auditor for QMS audits.• Lead the quality assessment of suppliers against selection criteria for Preferred Suppliers.• Develop suppliers in quality and business systems to meet requirements of ISI and promote new suppliers to production status.• Manage quality and lead the team in mitigating business risks and overcoming related challenges.• Manage supplier relationships to effectively partner ISI and the supplier.• Own key deliverables and manage timelines in supply base transfer projects.• Using the ASL and Global Commodity Matrix, manage quality and performance of the commodity supply base within ISI in partnership with Engineering and Purchasing.
• Take a lead role in manufacturing process selection• Complete Production Part Qualification deliverables: pFMEA, Special Process Validations, FAI, and Process Capability Analysis• Support transfer of parts and suppliers from NPI to sustaining production• Provide status of the readiness (quality, capacity, delivery) of the supply chain for major production process changes.• Drive changes to ISI requirements as necessary by initiating and managing changes to specifications and drawings through the ECO process.• Manage the planning and implementation of supplier change management projects using the Supplier Change Request process (SCR).• Promote DFM enhancements by engaging suppliers and Engineering early in the development cycle to deliver feedback on manufacturability improvements in the designs prior to production.
Data Analysis / Performance Evaluation
Quality Improvements / Performance Improvement• Provide effective and timely supply base health information to management by creating data-driven supply base information and delivering information to any level of management at ISI with minimal guidance (including Quality Review Board).• Develop and use measurement techniques for supplier part quality, capability, cost, capacity, and delivery by creating metrics to judge required intervention or change at a supplier or in a commodity.• Prepare and deliver supplier communications as required by working with suppliers on scorecards, creation of Strategic Business Reviews, Supplier Summits, etc.• Identify and investigate opportunities for cost reduction and/or quality improvement by collecting opportunities and creating tactics to present opportunities, perform research, and provide data-driven plans to management.
• Drive the commodity supply base to continually improve their business and manufacturing process performance to meet Intuitive Surgical’s requirements for supplier excellence using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation.• Review, analyze, and close customer complaints, manufacturing non-conformances, and first article inspections by judging risk analyses and justifications, determining corrective and preventive actions at suppliers (SCAR), looking for opportunities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence.• Drive corrective actions by being proficient in the five whys, determining true root cause, implementing effective and lasting corrective and preventive actions.• Lead the team in solving difficult process issues encountered in the manufacture of components and assemblies.• Facilitate, influence and work cross-functionally to improve supplier engineering processes.• Educate internal customers and suppliers regarding supplier quality, process and operational capabilities, best value manufacturing methods and tooling for key supplier processes.
• BA or BS degree or equivalent and 10 or more years related experience in Supplier Quality Management and Engineering, with significant medical or medical device experience
• Minimum 5 years of experience leading supplier development or supplier quality engineering teams, or leadership of equivalent areas.
• Proven ability to lead teams to solve difficult technical and process problems
• Proven ability to hire highly capable staff, and grow and mentor staff
• Knowledge of supplier manufacturing processes
• Knowledge of pFMEA, process validation, inspection and test techniques
• Familiarity with medical device regulations
• Knowledge of Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing techniques
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
• Ability to make effective presentations to peers and suppliers
• Domestic and International travel required to manage supplier auditing and assessment
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.