Intuitive Surgical Careers
Group Product Manager, I&A Platforms
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182062
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The Group Product Manager will be responsible for product marketing and product management of SP (Single Port) Instruments & Accessories (I&A) on the da Vinci® GEN4 Surgical System. The primary functions will be to manage the global product roadmap, develop marketing programs to achieve product adoption across indicated procedures as well as drive the successful rollout of new SP Instruments and Accessories to entire worldwide sales, distributor teams and customers. This position also will have responsibility for partnering with our Advanced Product Development team to evaluate the initial market opportunity for new ideas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Group Product Manager Key Objectives
• Lead SP I&A strategy and sponsor all projects in the strategy. Partner with SP cross-functional team in targeted indications, specialties and procedures.• Lead, manage and grow team of upstream and downstream Marketing- I&A Platforms Product Managers with their specific projects, professional development and cross-functional team collaboration• Manage the entire SP and Future Systems’ I&A product roadmap and lifecycle in alignment with the company’s long-term objectives. Develop business justification for recommendations and gain alignment across key stakeholders on project prioritization.• Partner with Advanced Product Development group to evaluate and develop initial market/business case for new-to-Intuitive ideas• Shepard projects through the design process including developing market requirements, product requirements, and facilitating tradeoff discussions with design teams while keeping the needs of the customer and the business in mind.• Manage the entire product rollout process including global product launch. Manage cross-functional product rollout teams to prepare products for worldwide launch. Work with sales management to prioritize international product launches.• Establish product positioning, value proposition and pricing. Create marketing and sales training material. Conduct customer preference studies and deliver new product training to sales, distributors, and customer support. Measure product success by monitoring product adoption and seeking post-launch product feedback.• Collect customer insights through customer interviews, case observations and customer focus groups. Refine requirements with feedback from customers, clinical sales and clinical development engineering. Take a “hands-on” role in product evaluation labs.• Become the subject matter expert on the value of daVinci’s SP and Future Systems’ I&A. Provide support for existing products through sales, surgeon, and OR staff training.• Understand competitive and emerging and complementary technology and its impact on robotics surgery.• Monitor and prioritize product quality issues. Work on cross-functional teams to resolve product issues and critical customer issues.• Partner with global counterparts to develop and implement specific product launch and product lifecycle activities.• Manage third party relationships around I&A platforms.• Manage the day to day activities of direct reports. Find alignment between individual direct report’s career goals and the company’s future talent needs and establish appropriate development opportunities. Coach and provide feedback as needed.
Group Product Manager Key Deliverables
• Lead, spronsor and advance projects through the product pipeline and lifecycle management against organizational timelines• Lead and evaluate I&A Platform Product Managers through Intuitive Surgical’s performance management and professional development process• Conduct surgeon evaluations and work with KOL surgeons to identify unmet needs, develop value propositions and product positioning• Partner with Advanced Product Development group and third party suppliers around initial customer solutions• Develop marketing collateral and training material.• Develop and maintain global product rollout strategies and identify new product ideas and enhancements for SP and future platforms• Provide accurate global short term and long term forecasting information for each product code.• Develop pricing strategies based on costs and competitive technologies and set pricing to meet product and procedure revenue and profitability goals.• Provide product related support to sales, surgeons and OR staff. Conduct product training for sales, distributors, surgeons and OR staff.• Keep overall customer satisfaction at the forefront by identifying and prioritizing product enhancement and reliability issues. Drive teams to resolve high priority issues.• Proactively communicate with senior management on the product development status and product quality issues.• Track competitive products and emerging technology. Identify complementary technology and develop industry relationships.• Provide global product roadmaps, understanding regional differences, and socialize across the organization.• Conduct performance management and compensation reviews with direct reports.
Core Competencies, Skills and Experience Requirements:
• Product management or product marketing experience in a therapeutic medical device company. Surgical and/or OR experience desired.
• Minimum 8 years of experience as a Product Manager or Product Marketing Manager required with a history of defining and launching successful products
• Proven ability to effectively position and message products/procedures and develop strong sales support to drive product/procedure adoption. Demonstrated success in building clinical education and marketing programs to drive product/procedure growth.
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively amidst competing priorities to deliver high-impact marketing programs on-time and within budget to support overall marketing strategy and business objectives.
• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure product success
• Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority. This includes the ability to work well in bridging communication between engineering, design, marketing, sales, and customers.
• Superior verbal/written communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills to work across multiple constituents.
• Self-starter with ability to take leadership in an unstructured environment.
• Ability to participate in activities in labs and in the operating room environment.
• Able to prioritize and smoothly manage multiple tasks.
• Must be well versed in MS Office Suite.
• Ability to travel 25-35% of the time. Some international travel may be required.
Education and Training Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in life science or business discipline. MBA desired
• Direct team management experience preferred but not required
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.