Intuitive Surgical Careers
Vice President Assistant General Counsel
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182075
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
The Vice President, Assistant General Counsel will work closely with the General Counsel and will oversee several key facets of Intuitive Surgical’s legal function worldwide. He/She will be responsible for managing a variety of legal issues both internally and externally, to a wide variety of stakeholders, including legal operations, corporate and commercial law, legal and ethics compliance and Asia Pacific legal activities. Will work closely with executive leadership, all members of the legal team, senior executives in the finance and sales and marketing functions, as well as business development.
• Primarily responsible for legal operationsQualifications
• Lead, manage, coach and develop the corporate and commercial legal teams
• Manage the successful delivery of services by outside counsel and the outside legal counsel mix and budgets to align with organizational goals and financial objectives
• Provide and coordinate delivery of legal support for legal issues and act as a trusted advisor and partner to the senior management team
• Provide thought leadership on industry and commercial developments as well as on the development and implementation of operational and risk management processes and procedures related to Intuitive Surgical’s business
• Help lead the corporate compliance effort, including counseling and investigating complaints, and escalate issues, as appropriate, to the SVP General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer and partner collaboratively to identify issues and share potential concerns and ideas with legal team members
• Represent Intuitive with external parties, including customers, regulators, partners and industry trade groups
Skills and Abilities:
• Minimum of 15 + years’ experience of combined law firm, or in-house legal department experience with increasing or suitable responsibility
• J.D. degree and a California state bar member in good standing
• Demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
• Seasoned expert in corporate and commercial law and in managing and investigating complex internal and external legal related issues with a strong track-record of success
• Strong negotiation skills
• Direct experience with recognizing and managing employment, regulatory, data privacy, compliance and product liability issues in commercial activities
• Demonstrated experience managing concurrent legal projects (running simultaneously) and budgeting with global reach
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
• Ability to work effectively with all internal organizations, including finance, sales and marketing and human resources
• Hands on experience as this is a lean organization requiring someone who is self sufficient
• Demonstrated ability to manage outside counsel to get competitive rates
• Experience and understanding of medical device, healthcare, pharmaceutical or other highly regulated industries preferred
• Ability to travel as necessary that could include extended business trips (anticipated 10%-15%)
• Proven project management, organizational, diagnostic and analytical skills
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Must thrive in a fast paced, complex, dynamic, multi-cultural environment where multi-tasking and prioritizing are required
• Demonstrated integrity while working with a wide range of sensitive and confidential issues.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.