Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Engineer, Instruments
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182083
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Instruments Mechanical Design Engineer will help identify performance, cost, and reliability improvements for Intuitive’s surgical instruments and accessories, and complete the development, documentation, and verification of these improvements. The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work in cross-functional project teams to design, develop and verify modifications to surgical instruments and accessories.
o Investigate and determine root cause of both latent and emerging design, manufacturing or material defectso Develop, implement, test and document solutions for these defects according to corporate standard and departmental operating procedureso Investigate clinical requirementso Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues
• Support the CAPA and CPIP processes and quality/regulatory audits as requiredQualifications
• Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
• BSME required, MSME preferred. Minimum 3 years of experience designing commercial mechanical products. Experience with small mechanism design, plastics, and/or disposable medical products are a strong plus
• Proven experience in a fast paced, high transaction environment
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to Manufacturing
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
• Proficient communicator relating to verification and validation testing
• Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Strength in design analysis
• Mechanical design and analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis
• Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes (including machining, wire EDM, MIM, electropolish, brazing, heat treatment, injection molding)
• Familiarity with small part assembly and manufacture
• Comfortable operating machine shop, measurement and test equipment
• Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Medical product experience preferred (including knowledge of sterilization and biocompatibility processes and designing for these processes)
• Proficient at process development and creation of assembly instructions
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
• Ability to travel up to 10% time
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
• A passion for creating robust and reliable products
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.