Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Systems & Robotics Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182088
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Define the architecture for, design, and construct control systems for manufacturing equipment used to produce laparoscopic medical devices. This custom manufacturing equipment employs a wide variety of automated controls, including electronic sensing, motion control, machine vision, and data collection. This position will play a critical role in introducing automation to the manufacturing environment while scaling manufacturing operations, and improving quality, yield, and efficiency of the production line.
The ideal candidate will have experience developing control systems for custom automated equipment from design, through fabrication, to sustained production use, and will have demonstrated proficiency in selection and integration of electronic hardware for control and networking, as well as the creation of associated software.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Determine the optimal controls architecture to perform the specific set of operations for custom automated manufacturing and test equipment.Qualifications
• Define, build, and support the control systems for custom equipment.
• Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment controls, including requirements, design, operation, and qualification, in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
• Specify the control requirements for, and manage the creation of, manufacturing equipment which can be designed and fabricated by third parties.
• Define the behavior and write the software to run custom automated equipment. Strive to create software that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable. Build systems that are safe and reliable.
• Qualify manufacturing equipment to ensure the fulfillment of all requirements.
• Leverage data acquisition to enable quality measurement tools such as SPC, Six Sigma, Cpk, and gauge R&R.
• Provide controls-related root-cause analysis and technical support to on-going production operations.
• Support product cost reductions derived from equipment and tooling used in manufacturing.
• Advocate techniques for world-class equipment and tooling design for manufacturing, assembly and product test.
• BSEE, BSME, Controls, Software Engineering, Mechatronics or similar; advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience developing and programming control systems for automated systems in a medical device environment.
• Great attitude, eager, willing/able to take initiative, works well with others in team environment.
• Software proficiency in PLC programming (Allen-Bradley preferred),Robot programming (Fanuc, Denso) C/C++, Python, and. Familiarity with Labwin, LabVIEW, Matlab, Java, and Wonderware preferred.
• Familiarity with pneumatic controls, sensors, vision systems, servos and other actuators.
• Familiarity with industrial robot systems controls and programming.
• Knowledge of networking protocols, such as EtherNet/IP, TCP/IP, Ethercat and Modbus.
• Experience managing the development of control systems for complex integrated automation equipment.
• Proven ability to develop control systems that integrate electronic sensors, actuators, and motion control components to perform mechatronic tasks.
• Strong technical analytical skills including motion control algorithms and statistical methods.
• Proven track record developing high quality, reliable industrial control systems.
• Able to travel periodically (5-10%).
• Familiarity with regulated Quality Systems, especially medical device regulations, a plus.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.