Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182110
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Training Technologies group, responsible for the Simulation software infrastructure and API development for the da Vinci™ Surgical System.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the design team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Architecture and development of the Simulation software infrastructure shared across all Intuitive Surgical robotic systems.
o Coming up with architecture/design specifications.o Object-oriented software design and development.o Deep understanding of control algorithms and state machines.o Develop Unified API across all the daVinci Surgical Systems.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the underlying state machine and core algorithms that drive the robotic system
o End to End data verification (Kinematics algorithms to API).o Porting and integration of Simulation capability to the System Software releases.
• Design and development of product-focused, rock-solid, C/C++ software in a heterogeneous environment (Real-time OS, Linux and Windows).• Develop, extend and debug real-time embedded software
Additional responsibilities include:
• Working on a cross-functional team at multiple levels, from architectural definition to embedded software implementation.• Contributing to multiple areas of software development, including but not limited to the following:
o Design and development of hardware emulation environments to facilitate Simulation capability.o Development of API on Linux and Windows platforms.
• Detailed design, development, and verification of embedded software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products• Helping to perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations• Documenting according to Intuitive's development guidelines
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must:
• Bachelor's or Master's degree (Master's degree preferred), with minimum five (5) years of industry experience in developing embedded systems
• Experience in developing for Linux and Windows at multiple levels (application and algorithms) is required
• Experience in developing real-time embedded software is required
• Solid analytical and problem solving skills
• Working knowledge of Unity Frameworks is desirable
• Experience or coursework in dynamic mechanical systems and kinematics is desirable
• Experience working in diverse teams. Comfortable with sharing knowledge and mentoring other team members.
• Able to work independently towards project goals with minimal guidance.
• Experience in object-oriented software architecture, and familiarity with design patterns, is ideal
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is a plus; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.