Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182178
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The New Product Verification Department is devoted to assuring safe, reliable, and effective products that exceed patient, surgeon, and hospital expectations. The department plays a vital role in product and process quality, in new product development and production, and in the quality of da Vinci Surgical System product lines, including endoscopic instrumentation, and supporting accessories. The Test Engineer will work with a team of dedicated individuals within New Product Development and New Product Verification to assure quality of new designs; to identify issues related to new designs and processes, and to work with other Test Engineers to develop harmonized test methods and best practices. Focus for this position will be on testing of power generation systems for electrosurgical instruments.
Roles and Responsibilities:
General Test Engineering Duties
• Generates test protocols for Design Verification and Life/Reliabilty tests• Executes test protocols for clinically-based surgical simulation and automated testing utilizing da Vinci Surgical Systems and other test equipment• Identifies and reports problems that arise during testing, and escalates new or persistent failure modes to appropriate engineering teams• Creates Test Reports to provide documentation that clearly indicates the results of product testing
Test Protocol Development
• Works with Design Engineers to develop test methods needed to ensure design requirements are sufficiently verified• Works with Test Engineers and Design Engineers to develop concepts and approaches to fixture designs• Works with Test Engineers to create and implement harmonized test methods
Electrical System Test
• Designs test fixtures and other test aids needed to perform Design Verification and Life/Reliabilty tests on energy generation and control products used with da Vinci instruments• Works with Design Engineering teams to ensure testability of energy generation products, including both the electrical and software aspects of these products• Develops specific test methods to perform testing of high power generators• Responsible for documentation of fixtures utilizing SolidWorks, including release of documents into Agile
• Ensures successful, on-time completion of department projects; communicates constraints to direct management when successful project completion is at risk• Performs a broad variety of tasks in support of product verification and test process design as assigned by department management• Complies with company Department and Standard Operating Procedures• Verifies and ensures adequate supply of test articles and other equipment or material
• Education and/or Experience: BS in Electrical Engineering or similar degree. Some college courses and/or experience in mechanical engineering and software engineering, along with work experience in an engineering organization. Experience with Solidworks or similar CAD software.
• Language Skills: Ability to read, write and understand English. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees, supervisors, or engineers.
• Electrical Skills: Basic knowledge of analog/digital circuits and power supplies. Experience with electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies, and embedded systems. Experience in “black box” testing a plus.
• Software Skills: Some basic knowledge control system software testing. Knowledge of Matlab or similar scripted test languages.
• Mechanical Skills: Ability to perform the basic mechanical engineering calculations needed to support equipment design, including dimensional analysis. Familiarity with equipment needed to perform typical performance measurements on electro-mechanical systems.
• Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions. Ability to report quality issues. Ability to suggest process improvements, especially those involving test fixturing. Must be a quick learner with the ability understand complex products and processes.
• Computer skills: Ability to use personal computers as part of daily work. Ability to use on-line documentation.
• Other skills and abilities: Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to use basic tools and measuring equipment. Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision. Ability to multitask, and handle tasks with competing priorities effectively. Ability to work with biological samples, including blood, tissue and organs.
• Integrity: Accepting and adhering to high ethical, moral, and personal values in decisions, communications, actions, and when dealing with others
• Travel: Ability to travel several times per year to support test/design activities at the Connecticut facility
• Relevant experience in a medical device company• Knowledge of C/C++, Python, Labview, MatLab
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.