Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Interaction Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182187
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Description of Position:
The da Vinci system pushes the frontier of human-machine interaction by fusing robotic technologies into a core product experience – technologies such as 3D immersive vision, high-fidelity haptic interfaces and dexterous robotic manipulators. The Interaction Engineering team cuts across multiple technical disciplines to create products that make customers’ experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring.
The Sr. Interaction Engineer works collaboratively within a cross-functional team to reimagine and develop new user experiences for both existing and future robotic systems in the da Vinci product line. The Sr. Interaction Engineer is passionate about both the function and finish of human-machine interfaces, with expertise in integrating a broad range of component technologies. An ideal candidate is an independent and fast-paced developer with excellent hands-on problem-solving skills combined with well-informed user experience design sensibilities. This individual is capable of producing robust, high-quality code and is open to incorporating new learnings & ideas in an iterative and collaborative design process.
1. Design world class physical and digital interfaces. Maintain superior design standards and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems being solved by working with the clinical engineering, product managers and the engineering team. Develop simple and elegant interfaces for the da Vinci product line, using a mix of development tools and environments. Maintain superior development standards from prototypes through production.
2. Explore new user interface technologies. Work with mechanical and electrical engineers to explore new user interface technologies. Rapidly iterate on prototypes of those technologies to assess feasibility and value.
3. Uncover unmet needs & push the boundaries. Use data mining and empirical research to discover opportunities for improving the da Vinci user experience. Demonstrate the promise of new ideas through compelling functional prototypes and convincing usability studies.
4. Pursue intellectual property. The candidate will generate, identify, prototype and document valuable inventive concepts that should be protected via filing disclosures and patent applications.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Software, Electrical or Computer Engineering preferred• Minimum of 5 years industry experience developing and supporting products with both physical and digital user interfaces• Demonstrated experience in all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification and maintenance• Experience developing or integrating natural user interface technologies, such as 3d tracking, eye-tracking, speech recognition or natural language processing.• Experience with real-time 3D graphics rendering (e.g. OpenGL or DirectX)• Strong facility with applied mathematics, linear algebra, vector/matrix math & kinematics.• Strong design sensibility and ability to clearly rationalize and articulate a design point of view.• Experience with GUI programming in application frameworks like Qt is a plus• Experience with using digital content creation tools is a plus• Experience with Unity programming for prototyping or product development is a plus• Experience with data science and machine learning is a plus• High-degree of design & technical creativity• Passionate about delivering the best possible experience to the user
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.