Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Design Engineer
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 182276
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for developing, documenting, and validating new product designs, as well as improving existing designs to meet the needs of our customers. This role also interfaces closely with Product Support, Manufacturing, and Clinical groups in the organization to help identify and fix challenging mechanical problems.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Design components and assemblies for surgical systemsQualifications
• Assess field reliability data and improve existing product designs as necessary
• Investigate clinical requirements
• Create product functional and design specifications
• Analyze and test product designs
• Develop vendors to manufacture components
• Develop fixtures and processes to assemble components
• Develop product assembly instructions
• Develop and perform component verification testing and product validation testing
• Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
• Provide engineering support to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs.
• Develop Design History Files per FDA requirements
• BSME required, MSME preferred
• A minimum of 2 years of experience designing commercial mechanical products preferred
• Proficiency using CAD to design mechanisms; ProE and/or SolidWorks preferred
• Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
• Strength in design analysis
• Good communication and documentation skills
• Comfortable operating machine shop equipment
• Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Prefer medical product experience
• Process development and assembly instructions
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.