Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: Mexico-Baja California
Requisition ID: 182328
- Manufacturing responsibility for tooling/fixtures, manufacturing equipment and design improvements into production.
- Evaluate and challenge mechanism designs for technical merit, reliability, serviceability and manufacturability. Provide suggested change proposals.
- Provide mechanical design engineers with Design for Manufacturability (DFM) input to ensure consistency/commonality among hardware and standard part selections across product/sub-assembly lines.
- Design, document, and create efficient “High-volume’ manufacturing assembly line including:
- Workplace and flow process development
- Specify, document, procure, repair, maintain, qualify, and implement fixtures, hand tools and equipment.
- Determine and incorporate critical feature inspection and test checkpoints into process. Document if discrepancies, actions or steps required.
- Approve design releases to manufacturing, review engineering documentation, provide vendor and in-house DFM inputs.
- Review/approve and determine impact of ECOs from manufacturing and field perspective.
- Take responsibility for developing and maintaining compliance with the quality system.
- Evaluate and help in the selection of suppliers for mechanical parts if required. Help resolve supplier quality issues.
- Hire, train, develop, and motivate production personnel to follow procedures, meet high quality standards, production schedules, and productivity requirements.
- Update and revise Manufacturing Process Instructions (MPIs) to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Address line support issues as they arise
- Document and report any variances, problems, issues, or concerns on all aspects of the manufacturing process
- Provide production personnel with expectations and performance feedback regularly
- Drive improvements in safety, quality, production, and cost
- Write and conduct formal annual performance reviews for production personnel
- Plan, supervise, drive improvement, and report production performance including output, yields, root cause failures, efficiencies, and trends
- Understand, train personnel, and enforce strict adherence to the applicable Department Operating Procedures (DOPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the Quality System
- Maintain up to date and accessible training records for MPIs and Quality System documents
- Assist in setting and attaining quarterly and annual production goals
Learn and enforce company safety policies and practices
Investigate, lead or support sub-assembly or process outsourcing initiatives
- Review/approve ECOs to determine impact on manufacturing and field perspective.
- Review and disposition discrepant material. Implement corrective actions to prevent recurrences.
- Active participant in quality improvement initiatives, providing feed back to find and solve root cause of problems.
- Evaluate designs for manufacturability (with respect to tooling and assembly methods). Provide suggested change proposals, or tooling concepts during early design process phase.
- Design and documentation responsibilities for custom and standard production tooling/fixtures.
Process and part design/documentation duties for cost reduction programs.
- Strong Lean manufacturing implementation and training experience are an absolute requirement! Six Sigma background and knowledge is also highly desirable. Must be a hands-on team player with a broad background able to interact cross-functionally to develop improvement strategies and implement solutions. We need someone with an unfailing commitment to continuous improvement.
- BSME required, MSME preferred.
- Customs and material department knowledge preferred
- Strong communications skills across team organizations and cultures.
- Interface with shipping and receiving activities preferred.
- Mid/high volume complex mechanism manufacturing engineering experience preferred.
- New product introduction/development desirable. Robotics knowledge a plus.
- Experienced in ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment.
- CAD experience preferred (ProE, AutoCAD).
- Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
- Must be able to travel to the USA