Intuitive Surgical Careers
Software Engineer (Machine Learning/Machine Vision)
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182371
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Video Software Engineering Group, responsible for the embedded software controlling the real-time, high-definition, stereo video processing, graphics, and compositing engine at the heart of the da Vinci™ Surgical System.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the design team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Exploration and development of machine vision algorithms for image and video analysis, including 3D reconstruction, feature/surface tracking, object detection, semantic segmentation and sequence labeling.
• Integrating computer vision and robotics: kinematics and sensor fusion.
• Benchmarking and evaluation of new hardware platforms.
• Prototyping advanced user-interface concepts.
• Development of product-focused, rock-solid software for image and video processing (C/C++, CUDA, Python).
Additional responsibilities include:
• Contributing to multiple areas of software development, including but not limited to the following:
o Optimization of machine vision solutions for embedded devices
o Adapting existing machine vision algorithms to novel applications
o Performance validation of machine-vision solutions
• Detailed development, and verification of software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products
• Helping to perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations
• Documenting according to Intuitive's development guidelines
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must:
• Bachelor’s degree with minimum (5) years, or Master's degree with minimum (1-3) years industry experience developing software for machine-vision applications
• Experience developing with C/C++ and Python is required
• Solid understanding of machine-vision algorithms for 3D reconstruction is required
• Experience with feature tracking, robot kinematics, and sensor fusion is ideal
• Solid understanding of statistics, machine-learning, and deep-learning algorithms and techniques is ideal
• Experience with deep-learning frameworks such as Caffe/Caffe2, Tensorflow, and/or PyTorch is ideal
• Experience developing with CUDA is ideal
• Experience in developing for embedded Linux at multiple levels (e.g., drivers, applications, algorithms) is a plus
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is a plus; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.